Coopers Community

Is my Lager flat?

AllanT1

I made the lager that comes with the Coopers Microbrewer Kit (first brew for me). I think it came out ok, it taste ok but it doesn't seem to have much carbonation. I used the PET bottles that came with the kit, 2 priming pellets, caps on REAL tight, gave it 25 days in the bottle, dark room at 68 to 70 degrees F (20-22C?). Hardly any carbonation at all. I think I read somewhere that lagers don't usually have a lot of head anyway. Did everything work as planned and is this normal? Here's to Beer's!

Allan, I had the same thought myself with my first brew. Give your bottles a bit of a squeeze. If they feel pressurised, check your glassware, you may have some detergent residue, this will pretty well guarantee flat beer. If you have a pack of plastic glasses pour a beer into a glass straight from the pack that hasn't been washed. Otherwise give your beer glass a good rinsing but keep it away from anything that has been in contact with detergent. It worked for me [biggrin] Other than that it is outside my league & you will have to rely on the experts here like I have done on a few occassions

Doesn't appear you have done anything wrong from the information provided.

I'd give some extra time in the pets, the lagers may need extra time. As Greg stated get yourself a new glass to be sure it hasn't been tainted by the dreaded soapy residue. You will have a better guide to the your head retaining properties this way.

Good luck

Hey thanks for the info folks, I took Coopers word for it and did not re-sanitize my bottles, I wowuld be willing to bet you guys are right on the button. I owe you a beer, when we see how the Oktobrfest comes out. Otheerwize you may want to wait until I get a few more brews under my belt.

I guess the amount of fizz, what is the difference? It is my first batch so I am not sure what to look for. It doesn't hold a head if I can get one at all, I can pour the beer into a glass and try to create a head and not get one. It doesn't really taste flat.

As Greg said, check that the PETs are rock hard - this indicates there is plenty of pressure inside, ample CO2 gas.

Did you read the FAQ? Is there something that needs further explaining in the Brewing FAQ? Feedback on the FAQs is always appreciated as they are a work in progress.[biggrin]

If the beer has plenty of fizz, look at your glassware:

To check your glassware, get some clear (crystal type) plastic glasses from the supermarket. Pull one straight out of the plastic wrap and place it beside your favourite glass. Fill both with the same brew and compare head retention.

Also, head retention improves with conditioning in the bottle.

Archived