Coopers Community

Yeast to stir in or not to stir in?

Cackguk

Hi all,

i am about to join the club and brew my first coopers home brew i have watched the dvd and am all set to go.

one question i have is in the dvd it states just sprinkle the yeast on the brew but i have looked into this and seen other video's and the rule of thumb seems to be to sprinkle then stir a lot to distribute.

Any ideas on this?

Sprinkle Dry and stir Wet yeast.

Imagine the yeast cells as clumps of microscopic sultanas, they need to hydrate and become a slurry before they can be dispersed through the wort. There is no benefit at all in stirring dry yeast, although you might like to stir it once it has sat for 15-30mins and become a slurry[wink]

Stirring works quicker as you are introducing oxygen which the yeast needs to use to grow.

[rightful] Our trials have shown there to be no difference.[rightful] Yes, generally yeast likes oxygenated wort to help it develop biomass (like bodybuilding in prep for the arduous fermentation journey ahead) but the act of stirring the wort will have little to no effect.[whistling

Generally, dry lager yeast has less viable yeast cells compared to the same weight of dry ale yeast.

As with most beer ingredients, the fresher the better. Yeast will die off with time, accelerated by elevated temp. So once you get your yeast home, keep it in the fridge [wink]

Archived