Coopers Community

Dry Hopping after fermentation through Airlock hole

johng12

Hi all, after a visit to the local HBS yesterday the owner gave me a quick tip while talking about dry hopping.

Instead of opening the lid and risking infection simply crush your amount of hops and use a cone shaped device ( can't think of the proper name atm ) and drop into the fermenter.

Has anyone done this before? and does the brew hold the hop aroma better after fermentation rather than during.

After dry hopping from the start im going to try this as im hard pressed to see the effects of the dry hopping in the finished beer. Worth a try and a bit safer than opening the lid which im a bit paraniod about doing.

Thoughts?

Interesting idea,never heard of this before and it should work,too extend the idea further maybe drill a hole at a larger size and use a cork as to seal and when ready drop the hops through the hole and reseal. It maybe easier to do this?

The brew already has some level of spoilage oranisms and the risk of further infection when removing the lid to add hops is low.

Hop pellets don't always settle out properly either [pinched] - I recommend the chux method.

The coopers real ale im brewing at the moment is on its 6th day, i have about 12grams of pride of ringwood hops in the fridge so in a couple more days i will try this idea out, let you guys know what the result is after tasting.

Update: i dry hopped about 10 grams into the real ale today which had no boiling hops added.

PB2 can confirm but this kicked started fermentation again as the airlock started again slowly. Don't know whether it's to do with some air getting into the brew but will update in the next couple of days.

I wouldn't have thought that introducing another implement (the funnel) would decrease the (already low) risk of infection. Plus by opening the lid (or better still removing the glad wrad) you can introduce your hops to the FV wrapped in a chux or similar as advised by PB2 or hop bag etc and reduce sediment in doing so. I haven't used the chux method yet but will be next time I brew with hops. In the past I have just added them to brew loose and allowed them to settle while conditioning over time. However, not all of the hop pellets always settle as sediment, and while this doesn't bother me, others occasioanlly get to drink my creations[pinched] and sometimes aren;t that keen on floaties.

Whatever floats your boat, though.

I would bash them in, no way like giving it a go to experience it first hand. Just remember that you are better off going a hop variety with more flavour/aroma profile as without boiling there should not be much of a bitterness kick...

• 2 weeks later...

I taste tested this Real ale after 9 nine days, the dry hoppin g for a week after fermentation is much more evident than when added from the start. What i did not mention is that i added half a teaspoon of grinded sea salt. After 9 days you might be mistaken to think this was about 3 weeks old. NIce young beer.

Bittering will mellow given some time.

Archived