Coopers Community

Foam over when carbonation drops added

Kearnage

I've just bottled a Pale Ale (made to the recipe with 500 g light dry malt, 250 g dex and re-cultured Cooper's yeast). Two weeks in the fermenter, FG 1010. Didn't smell or taste offensive out of the fermenter, but there were a few spots of mould on the fermenter and fridge wall due to a water spill.

When I added the carbonation drops, the bottles (PET) decided to celebrate, and foam poured out. I minimised it by adding one drop at a time and that stopped the overflow, but it was still pretty fizzy.

I've not experienced that before, is it common?

My main concern is that I was planning to re-use the yeast for my next batch. Is the likelihood of infection such that I should just go the kit yeast?

Cheers

Dan

Yeah you have to put the carb drops in first Dan.

You say it hasn't happened before - Is this the first time you've put the carb drops in last [biggrin]

I wouldn't be overly worried about the mould on the FV anf fridge. If it tastes and smells ok it should be ok. If you have any doubts toss the yeast and use the kit yeast or culture up some more. Better safe than sorry [rightful]

Dan, foaming indicates higher than usual CO2 is present in solution.

Causes - fermentation has finished (although 1010 sounds like FG in this case), the brew may be colder than usual and/or the yeast may not have sedimented as well as previous brews. Coopers commercial ale yeast is more likely to hang around in suspension.

If I'm using carbo drops, I like to drop them in just before screwing the cap on - that way I never miss a bottle. [sideways]

Thanks PB2, I feel better now. I carb drop last for the same reason, my counting is lousy [pinched]

The beer looks nice and clear, but all the SG samples were very fizzy.

I'll go ahead with re-using the yeast and hope for the best!

Cheers

Dan

Archived