Coopers Community

vanilla

scottj2

G'day Scott, welcome to the Brewers Guild [biggrin]

Vanilla works well in light and dark beer. If using a vanilla been pod, drop into boiling water for 10mins to pasteurise then toss the whole lot into the fermenting vessel.

When I was living in Philly I got the chance to drink a vanilla stout from a Detroit based brewery called Atwater block. It was bloody awesome[love] . I was so impressed with it I got the whole gang drinking it .....have fun experimenting.

A cut-&-paste of recipes from an old Coopers Club newsletter:

Vanilla is readily available at supermarkets. Try to work with the genuine vanilla flavour, which comes as a bean, paste or concentrated extract. For ease of use, the recipes include vanilla bean paste \u2013 1tspn of vanilla bean paste is the equivalent of 1 vanilla bean pod.

Vanilla Cream Ale:-

1.7kg Australian Pale Ale Home Brew

500g Coopers Light Dry Malt

300g Dextrose

250ml Maple Syrup

1 tspn Vanilla Paste

Yeast under the lid or an ale yeast of your choice

Made to 21 litres

Choc-Vanilla Stout:-

1.7kg Thomas Coopers Irish Stout (or Coopers Stout)

1kg Coopers Light Dry Malt

300g Dextrose

100g Cocoa Powder

2 tspn Vanilla Paste

Yeast under the lid or an ale yeast of your choice

Made to 21 litres

For both recipes, it\u2019s easier to mix the vanilla paste, maple syrup and cocoa powder initially with the can of home brew and other dry ingredients. The suggested quantity of vanilla is a conservative amount so you may choose to increase the vanilla, particularly in the stout, the next time you make this brew. Try to ferment at 18\xb0C \u2013 22\xb0C if possible. Bottle when two SG readings are the same over consecutive days.

Man no fair my ever growing list of beers to makes is getting bigger as I read. Thought that vanilla would go well with a dark beer [cool] looks likes that one goes down after xmas ale [cool] although the wife found my hidden cans yesterday [rightful] lucky i and the cans survived

• 1 month later...

hi all

well i made a Vanilla brew but instead of using Pale Ale i used Real Ale and ran with Muddys sugestion and used 2 Vanilla pods.

3 weeks in the bottle and i think it was well worth the effort( thanks Paul and Muddy ). Next time i will use Pale Ale because i believe being a stronger tasting beer the Real Ale does tend to slightly over-power the Vanilla. Now having said that its a very nice beer!

Archived