Coopers Community

merchandise for brewing stout beer?

BenjaminL

I am ordering the material to try my 2nd brew attempt (stout). Is my list complete or do others recommend other items?

Thanks for your help.

B.Levy, Manlius, NY USA

1. Dark Ale Beer Kit

2. PET Beer Bottles and Caps

3. Coopers Carbonation Drops

I have this

1.7kg Coopers Original Series Stout

1.7kg Coopers Original Series Dark Ale

1kg Dextrose

Made to 23 L

Both sachets of yeast

Ferment at 18C.

setup for my next brew.

It is supposed to make a stout close to the coopers best extra stout.

I have also it creates a lot of foam, so I am trying to think about how I will handle that.

This will also be my first bulk primed brew so I am also searching for how much priming sugar to use although the carb drops and PET bottles will work as well.

Thanks,

The recipe that Matty lists is great. Very simple and tastes great [love]

It is somewhat volcanic so if you don't have a lot of headroom in your FV you may want to reduce the volume by a few litres and gently top it up with boiled water (cooled) after a few days once the foam has subsided a bit.

I made a batch up that the contents of get me funny looks.

I had a can of Coopers Lager goo that I wasn't too interested in brewing so I used it in a toucan mix of Coopers stout with an extra 500g of Dex too, used both yeast sachets.

I can't stop drinking the stuff, best stout in ages.

I use a similar one as Matty but substitute light dry malt for the dextrose.....I have also tried it at 19litres but the 23 is just as good I think.......by the way, my LDM and English Bitter turned up today, I get to put on a brew tomorrow![happy]

i made a stout recipe to 18L with the Coopers original, 1.5kg of LHBS stout booster (600gm dark malt and dex and 300gm maltodex) plus 500 gm LDM. at 3 months it was way to syrupy and, just too, well, too much. after 6 months it is sensational. has thinned out (not so syrupy) and has an outrageous maouth feel and head (and retention).

If you bottled in PET you probably need to finish them by about 18 months.

If in glass, you can really let them age, for years if you want.

Mine is now 3 months old. I wish I hadn't tried it before now - it has improved with each test (and started pretty well!).

So I guess it comes down to: what did you bottle them in? and how patient are you feeling? (I cheated and tried mine after 4 weeks).

Dan

I picked up some longneck and stubbie site grolsch bottles fairly cheap, so they are in glass.

I can see myself cheating after a month or so. I am just more thinking I want to have some for the winter (really nice to sit in a warm room with a stout), and if I had them all polished off in 3 months and brewed another lot would that work out good.

I will try to leave them for the Winter but I dont see it happening [bandit]

Archived