Coopers Community

Brewing on the go

AdamG2

Hi I just wanted to ask about brewing while travelling in a motorhome.

Would there be any problems if we camped for a week made the brew then moved on.

While in our motorhome I find walking around that the bus wobbles around a bit and also from wind would this have an effect on the brew.

Cheers

I would maybe let the fermentor rest for a week or two or so after the process has finished.

Keep an eye on the temp as im supposing driving in summer and in a van its going to be hotter than in a residential environment. You may have to use the wet towel approach to keep the temp down.

Good luck let us know how it goes.

Hi John thanks for the post.

I was under the impression that the DIY kit took a week until it could be bottled.

Are you saying I should leave the beer in the fermenter for upto 2 weeks after that first week.

Fermentation is usually complete within the first week Adam. This varies with temperature, ingredients, yeast etc.

It is a good idea to leave your beer in the fermentor for a few days extra once fermentation is complete to let it clear up a bit. I always allow 2 weeks for my ales (1 week for fermentation and 1 week for settling).

As for brewing in a motor home, another concern for me would be storing your bottled beer. All the movement wouldn't be too good for it - But then again I've heard stories of people brewing while sailing around the world [biggrin]

PETs are excellent for conditiong the beer while on the move. Their shape and the 5 feet design encourages settling of the yeast.

Of course, movement during primary fermentation may slosh the brew around a bit too much. [pinched]

Thanks for your advice, I guess I'll will just have to see how we go with temps and so on.

Before we started our trip I had 8 boxs of PET's and 4 of those boxs were in the car trailer having a very bouncy drive the other 4 were in the bus which has air bags and is very smooth on the road, I never noticed that the beer was overly cloudy but it was pale ale.

Archived