Coopers Community

beginners wheat beer question

Per WillyB

Hi, my wheat beer is in the 5th day, its stopped bubble and it reads about 1008, but its still 1/2" (1 cm) foam on the top, should i bottle it or wait some more days? what happens if i wait to long to bottle it? it have been around 22-23c temperature all the days, outside its -22c today, Norway :-)

Per Willy

I normally take a reading with the Hydrometer and then wait 48 hours to take another one (The time limit is a little overkill). If the readings are the same I would bottle it.

If you are bottling into PET bottles it isnt so crutial to get it right on FG as you can easily release some gas if they become over pressured.

Thanks,

hi i bottled my wheat beer after 1 week at the same temp. range that you mentioned, i did check the gravity and it was the same on the sixth and seventh day so into the bottles it went. and i must say its delicious though give it 2weeks in the bottle before you open the first one as it seems to improve greatly for the extra week

enjoy!!

Mark

today (day 6) the foam is almost gone, but its still smell and taste a litle yeast and there is a lot of small bubbles (more than yesterday i think) in it when i tap a litle in the gravity tester, but it reads 1010, 2 higher than yesterday, is something wrong or should i wait some more days? This is my first Home Brew ever, well i have made something called "tomtebrygg", something every shops in Norway selles arround christmas, but all the bottles exploded[pinched]

It sounds like it is about done but it can't hurt leaving it a bit longer if you're not confident about your hydrometer readings.

I'm a 2 week man myself. Meaning I leave the beer in the fermentor for 2 weeks (or thereabouts). The fermentation is usually done in the first week and the second weeks helps the beer clear up (I'm talking ales here - lagers could take longer [rightful] )

Archived