Coopers Community

Is your Fermenting Vessel sealing properly?

Chimps

I bought a new Coopers fermenter 3 weeks ago and throughout its first brew the fermenter's airlock never bubbled once. I tried twisting the lid gradually from quite loose to quite tight and couldn't get anything near an adequate seal. I've owned 2 fermenting vessels previously and both of them had no problems creating that reassuring bubble through the airlock - not my new one - it just wasn't sealing properly.

After it's first brew had finished, I examined the lip of the FV and saw that the lip had a very slightly raised irregularity where the plastic was moulded on both sides. I carefully cut these off with a sharp knife (I used a Stanley Knife with a new blade). Sanding them off would've been a mistake as the tiny grooves caused by the sandpaper would harbour bacteria. I noticed also an irregularity on the O-ring in the lid and removed that too.

My next brew bubbled strongly and so is my current brew right now.

I'm a fan of airlocks. The brewing game can be a real waiting game and I personally feel satisfaction seeing the ol' airlock showing me that all is well and good! (sorry Muddy!)

I'm looking forward to seeing the NEW Coopers fermenters!

They look like they don't have airlocks though! [biggrin]

My first brew (at 18 deg) never bubbled once for the 12 days it was in the fermenter and it has turned out great. There was plenty of condensation on the inside of the lid tho'.The second brew (at 22 deg) bubbled away for about 6 days! Haven't tasted that one yet as it is still conditioning so I wouldn't be all that concerned about no bubbling.[happy]

Archived