Coopers Community

Probably the wrong room.....

FamilyGuy

Hello expert panel, no doubt I have posted this in the wrong room for discussion but figured this is where most the action is so why not!

Is there a way of producing a full strength (5%) beer without the use of sugars (dextrose etc...) I was thinking 2x Coopers kits made to 23L. Is it do-able, take longer, too stronger taste? I read that back in the day of Friar Tuck they didn't use sugar, just malts etc.

Anyone with any ideas?

The simple way to not use simple sugars is to make the beer using a kit and... malt. You can use either liquid or dry malt, with the latter usually more easily available.

There have also been discussions here about using a second kit (low bitterness like pale ale) instead of liquid or dry malt for those who find them hard to obtain, so that can be done too.

Some of the recipes on this site are malt only, check them out in 'How To Brew'.

Dan

Dan is spot on FG! If you do go the 2 x kit route make sure you take the bitterness into account.

1 kit and malt, or all malt and your choice of hops and style is an easy way to make a great beer without the simple sugars.

As for being in the wrong room, I went to the wrong room once and my mother in law has never looked at me the same way since [sideways]

Archived