Coopers Community

Air lock going bananas

AnthonyR1525228508

In my first five brews I did not notice any activity in the airlock. I believe I had a proper seal as the brews all turned out ok. This latest brew however, has the airlock going bananas. I don't just mean the occasional bubble - it's a mini-volcano. As always I filled the water to the indicator line - about 5mls. The water has been pushed all to one side of the lock and looks in danger of being pushed out the top! The brew had been on for about 36 hours before the bubbles came.

The volatile mix is Canadian Blonde + 1kg brewing sugar + 250gm LDM. OG 1052, SG after 24 hours 1036. I pitched at about 30C and it's currently at 24-26C... (it's been hot in Sydney).

It smells and tastes ok, so I'm not particularly worried, but is that sort of activity normal?

I had a brew that i done, can't remember what type that was blowing all the water out and foaming out the air lock for at least two days. I just thought it was a good brew and from what i remembered it tasted really good.And i'v only had it happen twice at least 20 brews that i'v done.

Its all good mate! Dont stress, I have had water come out of my air lock many of times due to heavy bubbling. Happy Brewing!

(p.s pay NO attention to your air lock regardless of activity. it means nothing...) Only trust the reading you take and your smell and taste.

Archived