Coopers Community

Questions on Kegging

GlennL

Hello fellow friends of the brewers guild , since I have been brewing I have only Kegged my batches , the thought of cleaning each and every bottle seemed a nightmare , my theory is with a keg I only have one big bottle to clean ( just slack I spose ) .Now the question I have fellow bretheren is on Conditioning . I have only known of the Artificial Conditioning method ( rack into keg , chill , purge and raise pressurise to 300 kpa for 2 days , wind back to pouring pressure , wait 4 weeks min and guzzle ) . Now in Brewing FAQ's I see Natural Conditioning , I follow it through steps 1,2,3,and 4 but step 5 "store at 18 c or above for a week " I get that . The next is where im lost it says " then allow the beer to condition for another 2 weeks " . What does this mean ? Do I leave it in the same spot for 2 weeks at 18 c or above , does it need to be chilled ? Do I need to move it to a different environment and at what temp should it be ? You are probably thinking "You Dipstick [roll] " right now ... but if you don't know , you just don't know . Hoping someone can help me out and any other tips would be great . Thanks Glenn

when secondary ferment has finished it can condition at any reasonable temp - i.e. under 24ish. you dont have to wait all that time for drinking once kegged though. i don't have the link or the exact details right now (you can do a search) but you can chill the keg, up the pressure rock for 5 minutes, wait for a few hours and then drink...or condition naturally and drink in 3 weeks. depends on how thirsty you are, i guess[pinched]

Ok i am no expert...i have not even conected my first keg on tap....I am also Natural Conditioning, All im doing is the same with the bottle....After keging leave at room temp for two weeks, then in the fridge for 24 hrs, put a bit of C02 in it (not sure how much yet will look in to it when i get my cylinder in tue) Then drink! :)

Archived