Coopers Community

Brewing Mexcian Cerveza

peterg10

i was wondering if anyone can help.

This is my 4th brew and i seem to be having issues. i throughly cleaned and sanitised all equip and made the wort as per procedure. Pitched the yeast at 22degrees. 24 hour later i had not movement in the airlock but a scum ring was forming and condensation was present.so i have left it for the last few days (6 days in total) but the last 3 days the water in the air lock has been level (have checked for leaks but found non) the temp has been at a steady 22 degrees and the SG has been at 1.020 for the last 3 days. So im not to sure if i should leave it for longer and keep checking SG or am i good to bottle.

If anyone can shed some light on this i would really appreciate the help.

Hey peter

airlocks usually dont seal properly dont worry there not important no nastys will get in with the lid on.

just use your hydrometer to check progress i think the mexican Cervezas final gravity is under 1010

I leave my brews in the fermenter for 2 weeks sometimes 3

Probly need to know a few more details

What fermentables are you using ie raw sugar? malt? and how much

What was the used by date on the yeast? theres a number on the back

What was the OG

and what temperature is the brew fermenting at?

To me it seems like your yeast have stopped working. 1020 does seem fairly high. I would give the fermenter a swirl which may help start the yeast off again.

1020 may be okay, particularly if BE1 is part of the recipe.

Peters hydrp may read slightly high - what does it read in cold tap water?

Let's wait to hear from Peter about the recipe before rousing the yeast or adding more yeast.

Thanks guys for the replies.

Firstly i used brew enhancer 2 and it has been sitting at a steady 22/23 degrees. i have just taken a sample and the SG has dropped slightly 1.019/1.018 and it smells and the taste is ok. As far as the UBD on the yeast not sure- but will take note in future. and Didn't take OG which is another mistake i won't make again. What should the FG be before bottling.

The hydro sits at 1.000 in cold water

1kg BE2 + 1.7kg beer kit to 23 litres should finish around the 1006 to 1010 mark. So your brew is a bit short of FG at the mo'.

Having said that, if you plan to bottle into PET, FG is not so critical because you can always release gas out of the PETs if they become over-pressured [biggrin]

Archived