Coopers Community

put yeast in at 32c

AussieJosh

Hey all....

Today i made a beer from kit hoping it turns out kinda like golden ale..

One can of Coopers light malt, boiled in 7L of water along with 15g Amarillo at 10 mins then 15G at 5 mins then added to the fermenter.

1 can Coopers sparkling in the fermenter

toped up to 24L

Kit yeast at 32c!!!

I put the fermenter in a ice bath for 10mins before putting in yeast but i could not get it to drop below 32c i was going to use us 05 in this brew but did not want to put a $6 yeast in at 32c. This brew had already coast me about $37!

Anyway my question is... In about 12hrs when the brew has droped below 24c should i add the US 05 then? will this improve it? Or will it be to late? And i should just stick to the kit yeast for this one?

Cheers!

Josh.

I'd hold onto the US05 for next time i think the coopers yeast puts in alot more flavours in than the US05 so you probly wouldnt notice much of a difference if you added it or not.

Speaking about hot brew temps i went to a mates house the other day and his fermentor was sitting on his table with a heat belt brewing away at 38 deg!!! haha. I think i'll pass on a taste of that one if he offers

Josh - note to self - boiling a large volume of water will produce a high brew temp[pinched] So next time, have 10 litres of pre-chilled water sitting in the fridge. [wink]

Many ale strains will survive through 40C but the final beer would be very bad [alien]

Hi all,

I have an IPA that I put down on Monday the 15th and 3 nights later it is still fermenting away strongly. I pitched the yeast at about 28-30 deg, which I understand is at the high range. (having some chilled water to bring the temp down would have been a good idea\u2026 ahhh hindsight)

My method... I mixed the can with 1 kg BE1 and 500g LDME. I also steeped 12g of Goldings in a mug for 10mins(as per the packet instructions) and added this 'hop tea' as well as the bag just before the yeast.

As I live in Queensland I have had some temperature control issues. The coldest air temp we have had is 23-4 at night rising to 27 during the day. I have left the brew alone for three days but I checked the fermenter last night and was sitting at 28 deg and this morning at 6am it was at 26 deg (so it looks like it has been fermenting at consistently high temps for the last 3 nights) I think due to the high temps it has almost finished fermenting, dropping from a OG of about 1050 to an SG of 1020 last night.

I am concious of creating any 'funky' or 'off' flavours and is there anything I could do to remedy this, especially as fermentation is probably nearly done.

Would putting the whole fermenter into the fridge (i.e. a sort of lagering) after fermentation has finished for a week or two help? I can get my beer fridge to sit around 6-8 deg on the warmest setting.

Any advice would be helpful. Cheers guys

im not sure on what you could do here as it has already been brewing at these high temperatures for so long.

I would neally be inclined to let it finish brewing and then just put it in the back of the cupboard and forget about it (ofcoarse have one everynow and then). The longer you leave it the better it will become. I have heard of some massive mistakes made while brewing has actually turned out to be a nice beer.

Someone else may be able to help alot more than I can.

The time to have the fermenting tub in a cooler environment is during primary fermentation. Try to ferment at the lower end of our recommended temp' range. My brews ferment in a fridge.

Cold conditioning afterwards will have little effect.

Work by the BEER TRIANGLE (in my signature).

Brew has healthy signs of fermentation and is now sitting at 20c.

I did not take a reading before pitching yeast (naughty naughty!) But all visual sins are its fermenting!

Although thats a 12c drop since pitching the yeast 24 hrs ago i am hoping there will be no major long lasting negative affects on the taste of the beer?

Paul my main concern was from my understanding the kit yeast for sparkling is a Ale Lager blend? I was unsure what was going to happen to the Lager yeasts at 32c? maybe kill them? and then there would only be half of the 7g of yeast 3 1/2g of ale yeast to try and ferment the brew?

Anyway i hope the brew gods are on my side and it turns out ok!

I for sure will be keeping a lot of cold water in the fridge the next time i do a boil! [roll]

Cheers PB, I think in this climate it will be worth converting my beer fridge to try out my next brew in.

Am thinking of getting an 'off the shelf' timer to turn the fridge on for say 15 mins every few hours to keep the temps down. Any thoughts on this approach?

(And I can then try convince the chief financial officer - my wife, that we are saving even more money homebrewing by not running the fridge 24 hours a day.)

Haven't quite got to using a thermostat yet[pouty]

But I find that I can keep the temp within a degree by using a timer switch either connected to fridge power or the heat-pad

bu4s.th.jpg lwbbm.th.jpg

Nothing fermenting at the mo',[pinched] will have to do something about that [wink]

Archived