Coopers Community

New Brewer - Yeast farms

LlewellynT

Hi Llewellyn, and welcome to beer heaven (the Coopers Web Site).

I've not heard of collecting the yeast from the top of the brew before. The usual way is to collect it from the bottom of the fermenter.

Simply wait until your brew is fully fermented, checking with a hydrometer for an identical reading on 2 successive days, then bottle your beer. After bottling you will be left with a small amount of liquid and a greyish coagulate, commonly known as a "yeast cake". To harvest your yeast cake remove the little bottler and shut off the tap, pick up the fermenter and give it a swirl, then decant the slurry into a sanitised container. I typically use the yeast slurry the next day but if storing for an extend period would reccomend refrigerating it.

Thanks guy's, one other thing - the normal yeast one buys in a grocer, I think for cake & bread making, is that OK for beer? I have also read that the single pkt of yeast supplied with the malt can maybe supplemented with another 2 packets? Seems a bit OTT?

One sachet should ferment okay. Having said that, many brewers like to pitch yeast at the rate of 0.5g to 1g per litre. Try it for yourself and evaluate the result. [biggrin]

Brewers' Yeast has been developed over time to get the right sort of aromas/flavours/alcohol content and FG. It is more tolerant of ethanol than baking yeast.

• 2 weeks later...

1.7kg Lager Beer kit + 1kg Coopers Brewing Sugar made to 23litres and secondary fermented, should come out around 4.6%ABV 'ish.

Funky flavours and aromas normally decrease with bottle age. Also, making beer to "THE BEER TRIANGLE" (in my signature block) will reduce funky. [wink]

Archived