Coopers Community

Tzars tar...who’s a fan?

Mfc

Just did a rude sample at 10 days at 28c and I’m fairly happy and defiantly be doing it again soon as the stouts out ogf the fermenter. I’ve made ris in the past and much prefer this

one question though, dose the sweetness decrease a bit with age? 
well two questions would some hops [tiny amount] help it out re the sweetness?

cheers mark

ps my toucan stout with ldme and some dextrose is tasting great out of the sg beaker

Hi @Mfc

I have not done the Tzars Tar, but it looks a good recipe.  I did do the RIS a while ago.  It had a sweetness to it at the start that has now, over a year later, drifted into the background.  I guess the Tzars will do the same.

I did an all grain Oatmeal Stout in August last year.  I used 50g of Bramling Cross hops for bittering and 50g as a 20 minute steep.  The blackcurrent note of this hop is unmistakable and lovely.

Anyway, the Oatmeal Stout had an IBU of around 40.  The Tzars states an IBU of 20.  If using my example you could try the Tzars Tar with a 30 minute boil of 25g of Bramling Cross and a 20 minute steep of 25g and you should get some extra bitterness to offset the sweetness.

• Like 2

Thanks.....I’ve made the ris as well and I’d have to say I prefer the porter over the stout, I’ll give the hops a try. I have nothing over the sweetness ,just feel it has the edge of a muscat sweeetness and that a bit of hops may make it better

its got a punch to it . An unexpected upper cut, not a king hit lol

• Like 1