Coopers Community

Sparkling Ale question

Andris

Hey guys,

I have Sparkling Ale mixed up by recipe, OG 1.050, SG after 12 days 1.012-14ish, depends on amount of bubbles :D

Brew is gassy, drew it from tap of fermenter - very clear, fermented at 18C.

Wondering about taste - is it normal for this beer to have this sweet'ish start in the taste, almost like some sugars are still in the brew?

The SA definitely does get better with bottle age. I used to poo-pooh all the people saying that the kit version comes out too sweet as I thought it was sacrilege to say anything bad about my beloved Sparkling Ale [biggrin]

I now tend to agree with them. I think I will make it my mission to make something more closely resembling the flavour of the commercial version (maybe some of the malt will need to be sacrificed [unsure] ).

That is exactly the recipe I planned to do next Paul - Now that you have suggested it I reckon it is signed sealed and delivered. Done deal. [biggrin]

BTW - I just did a gravity check on my Motueka Slam (with only 40g of Motueka though, so maybe it is more of a Motueka Nudge than a Slam [biggrin] ) and it tastes AMAZING [love]

Another variation of the Sparkling Ale might be:

1.7kg Sparkling Ale beer kit

1kg LDM

500g dextrose

Made to 21 litres

Ferment with Coopers commercial ale yeast if you can get the beer.

I made this recipe exactly in July and it was quite good as I recall. The beer book doesn't have any tasting notes, and I wish I would have held onto a few bottles to age out more. I guess the fact that I drank it all says that it definitely wasn't bad.

bottled it yesterday. since I did not had any free buckets for bulk priming and beer transfer, I crash cooled it for 2 days and bottled from fermenter - have to say, until I had to tip fermenter to fill bottles, it was my clearest beer ever get into bottles!

csa.jpg

bits of priming sugar on the bottle :D

I think I'm converter - will cool crash for few days now before getting beer bottled.

I'm drinking one of my sparkling ales right now (2 weeks old) and it's not half bad! I expect that it will get better with time in the bottle. Right now it is a bit sweet for my liking, but not overpoweringly so. It's at least as good if not better than the commercial beer I was drinking the other day [biggrin]I think I'll leave it alone for another 2 weeks and see how it tastes then.

Oh, one more thing. Isn't sparkling ale supposed to be served a little cloudy? I read somewhere that the recommended way of serving it is to roll the bottle gently to suspend a bit of yeast and then pour. If that's true there's no point in trying to bottle it clear and bright.

There is no adavbtage in chilling the brew prior to bottling this will only slow down the seondary fermentation process.

Hmm... I was under impression that you get less sediment in the bottles that way and, yep, downside = longer carbonation.

I think the amount of sediment is directly related to how much priming sugar you use. In my own experience I've found that I get a tiny bit less sediment if I let the beer clear for a few days after fermentation is complete before I bottle. If you want your beer to pour nice and clear time in the bottle is the answer, of course that requires patience...

Archived