Coopers Community

Not a lot of head

Fitzy Scrarvortis

Hi all, I'm new to brewing My own beer, & have just tasted My first bottle. I made the standard Lager that comes in a new kit. It was made according to instructions, & after 10 days in the bottle I decided it was time for a taste.I was impressed with the taste & aroma, but was a little disapointed with the head, ie very little. What was there hung on to the glass, & there was plenty of action bubble wise. Did I not leave it long enough? or will it get better with time? I did the normal 2 carbonation drops in each bottle, should I put another half of 1 in?

I also just bottled My second brew, a draught with 500g dextrose & 500g LDM, hoping for maybe a Boags Draught clone.

Any hints would be great for a newbie like Me.

Thanks[biggrin]

have to agree with ya there as always squish if it's only been 10 days you still got at least 2-2 1/2 months left bud i have been brewing since august only but yeah have noticed i made a ginger beer once i 1st started and it 's only just carbonated enough so as always squishy is right oh i forgot to mention i wouldn't put the extra 1/2 in or it will be over carbonated which may lead to not nice things [crying]

have to agree with ya there as always squish if it's only been 10 days you still got at least 2-2 1/2 months left bud i have been brewing since august only but yeah have noticed i made a ginger beer once i 1st started and it 's only just carbonated enough so as always squishy is right oh i forgot to mention i wouldn't put the extra 1/2 in or it will be over carbonated which may lead to not nice things [crying]

[biggrin] That'a a hell of a long sentence Brian! I ran out of breath halfway [lol]

Oh, and on topic - Give it time Ian, 10 days is very young. With beer think months, not days [rightful]

As beer ages in the bottle the bubbles get smaller, giving you a stronger head. the quality of ingredients means a lot also, for example I just cracked a scottish heavy ale (drinking it now actually) that was brewed using the finest ingredients and its only three weeks old and tastes incredible with a very consistent and strong head.

I reccomend the book "brewing crafts" I learned much from this.

Archived