Coopers Community

The hard way

FamilyGuy

Well, I think I learned the hard way.... I left my Euro Lager for about a week after fermentation was complete and am figuring the yeast fell out of suspension by the time I bottled. End result...zero carbonation.

Sanitation was up there so dont believe it could be anything else.

Any ideas on how I could restart secondary ferm i.e add a small qty of yeast to each bottle and give it a shake????

How long have you left it to carbonate?

After a week my Euro lager was flat as a tack. After a month it was still iffy. After 2 months it was nice with decent carbonation. After nearly 3, it is excellent with good carbonation and head retention.

I reckon that is why the instructions say leave 12 weeks before drinking [biggrin]

It's been 3 weeks since bottling. Flat as a pancake. Tastes fine though. To be honest the batch has been stored at the same fermenting temp of 16. Maybe I throw the box in the hot water cupboard. 12 weeks is just tooooo long! Good thing I quickly put a Mex Cerv down and straight after another standard Lager.

I only filled the Mex upto 20ltr hoping to strengthen the taste as I've read the taste is abit light. Will taste test in about a week. fingers crossed.

Upend them a few times and put them in the hot water cupboard or somewhere in the living area where it is bit warmer and they shoud carb up nicely.

The euro lager really needs time in the bottle for the flavour to come together. I'd leave them for 3 months minimum. Get some brews going and you wont even miss them - but you will enjoy more when the time comes to crack one open.

Archived