Coopers Community

how long is to long

MichaelD16

hi all, i am in the process of brewing a lager which has benn fernenting for 9 days so far due to work commitments i have to leave home next week on monday was wondering how my brew will go sitting around, say it is ready to bottle monday would it be alright sitting in fermenter until the weekend when i get back home (increased chance of infection?[crying] ) its in a coopers fermenter with just a layer of glad wrap over it in the shed

cheers[joyful]

cheers dan allways make sure everything is sanitised so no worrys there the weather has just started warming up here in tassie the last couple of days the brews been sitting at 17degrees for a couple of days will it handle a whole week at that temp? havn't got round to riggin up a brew fridge yet.

I am in the process of brewing my first lager - straight out of the box & by the book. Mine has been going along quietly for 10 days now @ 20 degrees. Put it in the sunlight Sunday & has been at 22-24 degrees for last 2 days. Hydrometer reading of 1014 for 2 days which book says is too high for ferment to be complete. Any thoughts out there??!!

Greg, Sunlight is bad for beer and higher temps are not ideal for lager. I say put it back in the dark and be patient [ninja]

Also, which lager have you put down and what was your recipe? If it is the original series lager you are probably on the right track but if it is a true lager then you have been fermenting at too high of a temperature. Either way sunlight is a bad idea though...

I agree with Slurtis Greg - It sounds like it was near perfect sitting inside at 20C. Putting out in the sunshine really isn't a good idead at all.

Are you bottling in PET or glass? If you bottle in PET you can always let a bit of gas out if it is over carbed.

Thanks for the info guys. The lager is the one that came with the kit. It is back where it has been since starting & is back at 20 degrees. I suppose I paniced a bit when the hydrometer reading wasnt dropping a lot after 8 days. Patience is apparently the key. It will be going into the PET bottles from the kit. Thanx for the info. I will keep on reading other posts on these forums as there appears to be a lot of info out there which comes from experience & not in books. I appreciate it.

Archived