Coopers Community

Help with wheat beer recipe

Andris

Hello guys, I have idea of brewing honey wheat beer, so what I have in mind:

1 option: mix Coopers Canadian Blonde with Coopers 1.5kg liquid wheat malt + 350g spring flower honey and some light aroma hops

2 option: mix Coopers Wheat beer with 500g DME and 500g honey + light aroma hops

3 option: mix Coopers Wheat beer with 1.5kg liquid wheat malt + 350g honey and some light aroma hopping.

Any suggestions? I sorta bend towards mixing Canadian Blonde option cause that would make me wheat beer (will it?) and leave me with can of wheat beer to experiment with...

As always, help would be really appreciated.

thanks in advance!

Hey Andris, have done a couple of honeys brews both with the original series real ale goo.

On my 2nd version I dabbled with the idea of adding some hops but then thought 'sod it' as I'm adding honey to the brew for a reason I want all the honey goodness and flavour to the beer. So my advice would be to hop the beer lightly (if at all) so the honey aromas and flavours don't get overrun by any additional hops.

I went for real ale, 1kg LDM and 500g of Kangaroo Island honey. The head is amazing and the head retention last to the bottom of the glass (had a sample on Saturday). Can't wait till its ready to drink, only another week![crying]

Will be looking at bulk priming with honey next time but that's another issue all together.

Happy brewing.

Cheers,

Martyn.

P.S. I choose option 2.

Hi Andris,

I just made one. Very light in body, you could drink it all night, my friends loved it.

340g honey

600g of enhancer 2

1.7kg of wheat beer

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=101100&id=114095955310513

Frank Akers of Coopers seemed to think coriander seeds and the full 1kg of enhancer would have been a good job too.

I'm going to try that next. Good luck Andris.

I sorta dont like Hoegarden too much - in my opinion, its bit to dry and too much spices on the end, so when I was looking for a good wheat beer recipe, everyone was obsessed with hoegarden - I added about 3x less coriander and bit more aroma hops - ended up with fantastic brew, should be very close to German wheat beer recipe on this site, just with slight addition of coriander and about 50g of orange peel boil.

I will try this with Coopers kit this time as current one is drying up with alarming rate and Canadian Blonde just married Latvian bee honey and is already in fermenter, so that option is outta question.

Archived