Coopers Community

Using Honey as a fermentable

wilfw

Hey Wilfw, I'm on my 2nd honey brew as an adaptation of the Unreal Ale recipe from the how to brew section.

I changed the recipe, on PB2s advice, from 1kg of BE1 to 500g and 600g of honey. I think he said 325g of honey is the similar to 250g of BE1.

I've gone one step further and gone for Real Ale, 1kg LDM and 500g Kangaroo Island honey and I'm just this afternoon about to crack the 1st one after 2 weeks on the bottle just as a sample but plan on leaving the rest for a while.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Martyn.

P.S. Hows Lincolnshire this time of year? I'm from the other side of the Peninnes (Ashton Under Lyne).

Hi Martyn, thanks for that, I think I shall try using honey with a Real Ale kit, sounds like it'll work well with that style,

and Lincolnshire....well it's bl..dy wet this morning after yesterday's rain[lol]

I've just put down my honey beer as follows:- Coopers IPA kit, 500g dark DME, 300g Dextrose and 425g jar of honey (Asda cheapo)

I got a SG of 1043. It's gone off like a rocket, I'm assuming this is due to the honey content.

Hi Folks!

I did a wheat beer with the following:

1.7kg Wheat Beer Kit

600g of Enhancer 2

425g of Honey

I produced a very light bodied beer, and it was very drinkable. It didn't get to bottle age as my friends drank it on me (I helped) in about ten days. I don't know what alcohol content would have been (any experienced guesses welcome) as I don't have a hydrometer. Really good fun though.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Prohibition-Brewing-Mission/114095955310513

I am currently brewing a maple syrup lager. i assumed it should be ml for gram also, but after seeking some advice from a proffesional he reccomemded only 125ml of maple syrup and fill the rest with dextrose. So, it is almost ml for gram BUT I was told that that ammount (250ml) would be overpowering and take over the taste of the beer. Im not sure if it is the same deal with honey but I hope this helps

Archived