Coopers Community

a few questions from a beginner

brianc6

well to start off i must ask has anyone ever had any beer bomb problems in the past as i am new to the brew so dont want to have any experiences in this subject :) i have bottled in pet for the past few weeks but want to take the plunge into glass but dont have any knowledge when it comes to this area so have to ask you helpful experienced brewmasters here, second of all i want to move into all grain mashing but want to know how hard it really is or easy it is and any advice any can give would be excellent thanks heaps [innocent]

I havent had beer bombs yet and hopefully wont have them.

I think key to avoiding beer bombs are few things:

1. complete fermentation - make sure its done, usual signs are - steady gravity readings for 3 days and beer is significantly clearing. if unsure, better leave it for few more days - dont worry, if you have followed sanitation rules, your beer will be fine sitting on yeast cake easily for 1 month, maybe even more.

2. using proper amount of priming sugar - do not ever overdose on priming sugar and make sure, if you use bulk priming, to dissolve it properly.

3. sanitation - clear and sanitize with great care to avoid infecting your beer in bottles that can lead to exploding bottles.

have I forgotten something?

Hi Brian - Andris has covered it except I'd add use suitable bottles that are made to be refilled. Coopers longnecks are the best but I also use Grolsch swing tops. You can use regular beer bottles but you will have a greater risk of bombs - I used to use non refillable twist top bottles and had 2 from about 500 explode.

I have had a couple of bottle bombs which I put down to the bottles not being 100% clean or possibly had small fractures or weaknesses in the glass (they were Tooheys Old twist top bottles which really shouldn't be refilled). They had been in the bottle for months and were both fully fermented and tasted great. I moved all my beer to a new location and found the mess the next day. I didn't witness the explosions but they must have had a bit of force as there was glass everywhere.

well i can go to a bottle recycling place up here where i live which sell the used long necks for $2 a dozen thats why i asked :) will they be any good to use i have never bottled to glass and heard some have had nasty experiences with the bottles but i guess as you and muddy said it comes down to a few important factors clean clean clean and to make sure most of important fermentation has completed, on the topic of cleaning which is best to use bleach or brewsan ???

ha ha ha the only time i ever had a bottle bomb was when I was making home made ginger beer. For some reason they kept exploding of if they didn't i had a fountain every time I opened one up. The last bottle bomb I had left a corona bottle neck and head (complete with cap) lodged in the ceiling of the garage. Had to fix that before we moved [lol]

I've used Glass my whole brewing life and haven't had an issue![biggrin] I find either Coopers[love] longnecks (or Tallies now that i live in QLD) or OOOLLLLDDD barbed wire (XXXX) ones are the best. I leave all my brews for two weeks in the fermenter and use Good ol White King bleach (On special at Woolies[biggrin])

[biggrin]

sweet thanks heaps for the info will pick the heavy long necks LOL i have a couple here atm that must be what ya mean you notice a considerable weight to them even when they are empty so must be the type i need to find :) and yeah been doin the same squish using the proper white king unscented regular bleach have had any infections yet touch wood wasn't sure if there was much diff in sanitizing side of things so thanks heaps to all [bandit]

If you mean is it legal in Australia, the answer is 'no'.

That may not have been what you were looking for...

Under the Distillation Act 1901 (Cwlth) it is an offence to distil any spirit without first obtaining a licence from the Excise Business Line of the Australian Taxation Office (maximum penalty $5000).

The production of beer or wine without a licence is not an offence provided the production is not for commercial purposes, as specified by the Excise Tariff Act 1921 (Cwlth).

Good to see our laws are up to date, hey?

bloody ridiculous isn't it when ya think bout it nz it's legal to but australia it isn't it's absolute madness :( and the answer didn't faze me either way just wasn't sure what the laws were on the subject thanks kearnage for ya help there mate ;)

leave your brew in the fermenter for 3 weeks...should be sweet to drink (bottle conditioned) in 1-2 weeks thereafter...at least that's been my experience & my brews have all followed suit - drunk before the next batch is brewed[lol]

never had a beer bomb!

[alien]

ha ha ha the only time i ever had a bottle bomb was when I was making home made ginger beer. For some reason they kept exploding of if they didn't i had a fountain every time I opened one up. The last bottle bomb I had left a corona bottle neck and head (complete with cap) lodged in the ceiling of the garage. Had to fix that before we moved [lol]

yeah have heard a lot of people say the same thing about the old ginger beer can be a real pain in the a55 to finish fermenting [kissing]

Yes I've used them but would like to point out that I didn't drink them but retrieved them from the recycling [biggrin]

They worked just fine but as with all "Not to be refilled" bottles they should be used with care [ninja] (or not at all

[innocent] )

yeah have to agree with ya on that one muddy wouldn't drink the crap brews outta the bottles i got i hate fosters and melbourne bitter vb meh but i guess would drink carlton i guess LOL but as always thanks for ya help muddy [biggrin]

Archived