Coopers Community

Stout went thermonuclear on me

Andris

Hey guys,

I'm just wondering - is it just me or that's normal sign for darker colored beers to go thermonuclear and ferment with greater vigor compared to light colored beers?

I have second batch of darker beer - this time its stout mixed with can of dark liquid malt - this baby crawled out of airlock and almost made a nice round ball out of my fermenter going from OG 1.040 to 1.012 in 3 days...

Similar was with "muddy bear" - dark ale with can of liquid malt extract and half kilo of dry malt - I had to make a blow-off valve because even at 20C it was explosive fermentation that ended up in week from 1.053 to 1.010...

I have yet to see something similar from light colored beers.

I find that it is quite explosive as well. What i do, is only fill the fermenter up to 18 litres, then after the foam goes down i top it up will cooled boiled water. I dont use a lid or an air lock though, so its not a massive problem for me anyway.

Thanks guys, too bad I cant use open fermenter - have 3 cats roaming around, would end up drinking furball ale...

I guess I'l just rig my dark brews with blow-off from the start so I dont have to wake up in the middle of the night because The Dark Ale Monster crept up on me or the bucket went football shape cause of pressure.

Im just really surprised that it fermented so quickly, especially Stout - 72 hours and primary blast wave is off, now its settling down already and I dont think I will see much changes in gravity - 1.012 is what I have today, 4 days after starting this brew, meaning, this might be ready to bottle by the end of the week or middle of next week latest if Im lazy with the bottles...

Should I expect same explosive fermentation from Coopers Sparkling Ale made to recipe? I just kegged one batch and was cleaning fermenter and ended up with idea - why store it and then do all sanitation again if I can do it now and mix some beer along...

oh well, I think my house is turning into a small brewery... I can tell by my growing beer belly!

Hi Andris - The Sparkling Ale wont be any where near as volatile as the stout.

In regards to the stout, even though it has fermented quickly I be inclined not to rush it into bottles. In my opinion the settling time is just as important as the fermenting time.

I know what you mean about your house turning into a small brewery - I've got three brews on the go at the moment [cool]

Archived