Coopers Community

New Brewer with some questions on gravity

Geoff

Hello all, put a brew down on Sat 18th September, it was a Coopers lager kit with 1 kilo sugar (in the kit) and 11g of premium lager yeast, re-hydrated at 25-30deg water, then pitched in yeast at 20 deg. Brew is not bubbling thru airlock but condensation has formed and I took a reading on Sat 25th which was 1020 Gravity, just took another one then (19:30 28th Sept) and it appears to be the same, maybe 1019, MAYBE! I checked the hydrometer with water at 21deg and is was 1000 exactly so it appears to be working ok. Temp of brew is approx 16deg, yeast is said to work ideally at 11-15 or 11-24 overall, 16 sounds ok to me. I would of assume since Sat the Gravity would be around 1017 ish, I am looking for 1006 approx yeah?

Not sure how long this brew will take, I assume around 10-14 days?? I will check again tomorrow to see if it has dropped again.

Thanks,

Geoff

Man, youre following my footsteps - going for the first brew with subtle and very confusing lager yeast! :D

Anyway, can you check if there is sediment on the bottom of fermenter? Dont open the fermenter - you should be able to see it without getting inside, use flashlight to shine on the sides if you cant see it.

How does beer look when you take sample? I presume you take it from tap - is it clear? Any CO2 in beer? Hows the taste?

As for airlock not bubbling - try tightening lid more next time.

And what was exact type of yeast you were using?

Ignore the airlock. Don't worry about achieving a perfect seal.

Let it run to the 14 day mark then draw off another sample, degass it by tossing it between two cups about 20 times or so, and test the SG.

If you plan to keg or bottle into PETs, it's not so critical to hit FG.

I am planning to use PETs yes, checked again tonight looks like a 1016, got to keep spinning the hydro tho as bubbles keep forming on it so yeah it's gassy, tasted pretty good too. There is indeed a fair bit of sediment on the bottom, a white chalky looking substance when looking thru the fermenter so that's good. There is indeed some CO2 in the beer, I draw it from the tap slowly and she bubbles a fair bit, which I assume is a good sign, should that stop when its finished fermenting? I still know to check 3 days in a row with to ensure FG is the FG!! Not sure on lager yeast, one bought from a home brew store here in Canberra, came from a fridge so hopefully ok.

Thanks for the replies, will keep going for a few days yet.

There is indeed some CO2 in the beer, I draw it from the tap slowly and she bubbles a fair bit, which I assume is a good sign, should that stop when its finished fermenting?

The brew may continue to be gassy well after fermentation has finished, particualry when at a cooler temp because CO2 is more readily dissolved in the brew as it becomes colder.

De-gass the sample by tossing it between two cups about 20 times or so. Tapping the hydro on the downwards so it gently bumps off the bottom of the sample tube seems to dislodge the bubbles more effectively than the spinning method [biggrin]

Archived