Coopers Community

scratch glass better head

MichaelD16

Certainly in Britain most of the lager glasses are etched on the bottom to create fizz.It's something to do with irregularities of the glass surface causing the beer to release gas. I don't think I would want to drink an ale out of one of them though.

Many years ago, when I drank from a pewter tankard, [pinched] [pinched] I made a scratch in the bottom to keep the head on the beer.

Irregularities such as scratches and etching offer nucleation sites for the CO2 gas to break out of solution which helps to build up the head as it collapses. The beer tends to go flat in the glass quite quickly...

Conversely, glassware that has a film inside (normally due to not being cleaned thoroughly) may not hold a decent "head".

thanks for the replies guys i retried with another glass and went for another primitive diy aproach (flat head screwdriver) put a few scratches in this one and can notice the longer lasting head don't know about the going flat bit yet, must have a hole in the glass seems to epmty itself to quick

Archived