Coopers Community

Hop pellets

JaredW

hi again fellow brewers, well i have just got my first hop pellets mouteka, nelson suvain what i was wondering was how shud i hold the hop pellets in the wort would a pair of pantyhoes/stockings work ok, do they withstand boiling?? cheers

Yep stockings will work - dye may come out when boiled if they are dyed.

Are you boiling them to sterilise? If you are using them for your hops boil it is probably easier just to throw the hops in loose and use a sieve when pouring the wort into you FV or you can just toss the lot in - The hops will settle out.

Yea i was gona boil to sanitize and then let them steep for 10min or so while i made up the wort, how much stronger aroma/flavor/biter are pellets compared to flowers i used 45grams of cascade pellets when trying the vintage ale recipe i boiled and then steeped them for 30min and it is way to much flavor a real overkill they came in like a tea bag, how long have u been brewing for muddy? i realy enjoy reading your posts funny and knowlegable thanks

45grams of cascade pellets when trying the vintage ale recipe i boiled and then steeped them for 30min and it is way to much flavor a real overkill

You could try using hops without boiling them - imparting some flavour and lots of aroma [cool]

Wrap them in a chux cloth, pulled straight out of the packet, and drop them on top of the brew.

ok Thanks ill try that this weekend my recipe is

1xpale ale kit

1xreal ale kit

400grams of glucose

10grams of nelson suvain

10grams of motueka

10grams of hallitrau

topped to 25l

and a cultured coopers yeast

does this recipe sound good and will the hop pellets not explode out of the cloth when they absorb the wort??

some claim that if you "dry hop" your beer with tossing hops into fermenter, its good to do that after the active stages of fermentation are complete

Perhaps with "5 hectolitre plus" brew volumes but it makes little difference with small brews around the 23 litre mark.

Perhaps with "5 hectolitre plus" brew volumes but it makes little difference with small brews around the 23 litre mark.

Thanks, that way its actually easier - to toss pellets in while you make brew than disturbing it later.

* adjusts notes

• 2 years later...
Yep stockings will work - dye may come out when boiled if they are dyed.

Are you boiling them to sterilise? If you are using them for your hops boil it is probably easier just to throw the hops in loose and use a sieve when pouring the wort into you FV or you can just toss the lot in - The hops will settle out.

Your words Muddy back in 2010.. In any case, all good advice!

Archived