Coopers Community

High FG

JoshT3

Hi all,

Beer has been fermenting for just over a week now, tested the FG today and got about 1010-1012. Tested it 2 days ago and it was 1014 so just wondering if it's finished or do I need to leave it longer? Can I bottle?

Hi Josh,

Not knowing what you are brewing and what fermentables, yeast etc, you are using it is hard to advise what your FG should be.

Once you have stable readings over a couple of days you are ready to bottle. Check it again in a day or two and if you get the same reading it is done.

I found that using Brewing Sugar on its own, with the Original Series Lager, doesnt end up the greatest. Its nice, refreshing, but greatly lacking body and mouthfeel, this is solved by using the Brew Enhancers and Malts.

The Lager, with 1Kg of Brew Enhancer 2 (50% Dextrose, 25% Maltodextrin, 25% Light Dry Malt) gave me a much better beer. Although, dont give in to temptation, allow sufficient conditioning time. I've had a few brews that have been horrible at bottling, almost bareable after 2 weeks in the bottle, and beautiful after 2 months.

That being said, I usually prefer Ales over Lagers, and also being a novice, as Christian said, Ale yeasts are easier to brew with for the inexperienced.

(as an aside, try adding a 'Finnishing Hops' bag to the mix. Even with the Original Series Lager, try some Hersbrucker or similar. Cut the bag open, pour the pellets into a saucepan with about 1 litre of water, boil for a few minutes and add the whole thing to the FV while you're adding everything. As you get more experienced with Hopping, you can try different techniques, but to begin with, add the hops anyway you feel like. As long as its in the FV, it'll give it a little something extra, and make an average beer, into a great beer.)

I found that using Brewing Sugar on its own, with the Original Series Lager, doesnt end up the greatest. Its nice, refreshing, but greatly lacking body and mouthfeel, this is solved by using the Brew Enhancers and Malts.

The Lager, with 1Kg of Brew Enhancer 2 (50% Dextrose, 25% Maltodextrin, 25% Light Dry Malt) gave me a much better beer. Although, dont give in to temptation, allow sufficient conditioning time. I've had a few brews that have been horrible at bottling, almost bareable after 2 weeks in the bottle, and beautiful after 2 months.

That being said, I usually prefer Ales over Lagers, and also being a novice, as Christian said, Ale yeasts are easier to brew with for the inexperienced.

(as an aside, try adding a 'Finnishing Hops' bag to the mix. Even with the Original Series Lager, try some Hersbrucker or similar. Cut the bag open, pour the pellets into a saucepan with about 1 litre of water, boil for a few minutes and add the whole thing to the FV while you're adding everything. As you get more experienced with Hopping, you can try different techniques, but to begin with, add the hops anyway you feel like. As long as its in the FV, it'll give it a little something extra, and make an average beer, into a great beer.)

Great advice for the new brewer from a great PM[cool] !

Archived