Coopers Community

advice needed for keg??

graham

Hi lads and ladies ive been brewing a little while now and im thinking of purchasing a keg..the one i was looking at is called a 'king keg' its plastic and can hold 40 pints you carbonate the beer using co2 cartarges.1.has anyone any experiance of this type of keg? 2.is this method of carbonating the beer effective? this is the only type of keg my supplier sells i really dont no what to do im happy with the quality of the beer i getting from the bottles will this type of keg or any keg improve the quality of my brew?Advice tips anything would be much appreciated!

Graham

Hey Graham your post got me interested and I did some research on plastic kegs. At the moment they are not here in Australia yet. ALthough there seem to be several types for sale in the us and uk. As for your type of keg I looked on ebay UK and found that you could get them for about half the price compared to new. Per

My first experience was a leaking tap after a while when pressure took on - had to do a nice midnight sanitation/bottling fest.

Probably faulty rubber gasket, will do my second attempt when something comes ready and this time will have sanitized bottles ready just in case.

So, I would say, if you can, check how its holding pressure/leaks - that is the usual issue with those things.

Worst come, you can always make a nice plastic carboy out of it :D

You will use less gas by carbonating naturally with sugar, perhaps at the rate of about 3g per litre - King Kegs are suited to less carbonated beer.

If you try to increase head pressure too much the pour will be too fast and create heaps too much foam - good luck [ninja]

Archived