Coopers Community

Headache!!!!!

FamilyGuy

This maybe a bit presumptuous.....But a couple nights ago I bottled my first ever Coopers microbrewry kit with the lager kit. I accidently place 3 carbonation drops in a bottle and filled! So figured not to go to waste I'll drink it when finished bottling. The following day and some of the next I had a tremendous HEADACHE...I never get headaches, even when hungover. I normally just feel like a bus had run over me then backed up again to see what had caused the bump in the road.

I found this quote in an attemp to find a reason...

"There is a chemical that causes headaches for about 1 person in every 15. It's a natural byproduct of certain strains of brewer's yeast, not something that is added to the beer. Switching to the products of a different brewery that uses a different strain of yeast for their fermentation will often clear up the problem."

My question is... can the brewers yeast in the kits be substituted for standard yeast off a supermarket shelf?

My wife uses this yeast for bread making and it certainly does not have the headache effect on me. The label states suitable for brewing...

This may be a one-off occurrance and the headache may have been caused by something else??

Beer Yeast is the best option for beer making.

Baker's Yeast is a very close relative of Beer yeast. It may ferment the brew but it's not likely to produce suitable aromas and flavours - it's more likely to become stressed by the ethanol, produced during fermentation, a crreate off aromas/flavours.

My question is... can the brewers yeast in the kits be substituted for standard yeast off a supermarket shelf?

Visit your local home brew shop as they will carry lots of different types of beer yeasts which you can use instead of the kit yeast.

Well I hope it's a one-off...If not I'm gonna give it to some mates' date=' and do some experimenting....[/quote']

hahaha remind me to never do a beer swap with you [biggrin] . I love putting my brews into commercial bottles and placing them in friends fridges so the bottles match and watching their faces to see if they relise their favourite beer they always drink has suddenly changed to contain a witbeer. Funnily most do not even relise the beer is completely different.

Archived