Coopers Community

To bottle or not to bottle - that is The Question!

Andris

Hello guys (and gals!)

wanted to ask for opinion - I have Heritage lager kit + can (1.5kg) of light malt extract brewing for 10 days at aprox. 19C - hygrometer reading is stuck at 1.009 for few days now, I transferred it to secondary fermenter with few spoons of yeast sediment from bottom and wondering should I leave it there for few more days? It tastes great, smells great, a bit carbonated (very small bubbles if you really shake it giving a bit of head).

Im bit worried about sanitation - the fermenter did not had tap, so I had to take lid off to take readings and each transfer to new vessel also is a contamination risk regardless how well I scrub/clean it all.

So, any advice?

Thank you in advance!

Hi Andris - Sounds like it is done. I always leave my ales for at least 10-14 days just to give them time to settle out a bit. I don't bother with transferring to secondary vessels (other than for bulk priming (Also I don't really make lagers often so there is no extended lagering in my repertoire).

I think it really comes down to you - It would be fine to bottle now or in a few days. I'd be erring on the side of caution and bottle sooner rather than later if you think infection is an issue.

Archived