Coopers Community

Moving Fermenter before bottling?

JoshT3

Hi all,

I'm brewing for the first time using the coopers kit, and I have my fermenter on the ground as I have nowhere else to put it, just wondering about moving it before I bottle it? Do I move it a few hours before I bottle it to allow the yeast to settle or does it need longer than that?

If you want less sediment in your bottles give it time, i find loads of sediment in my bottles to be really annoying as when im taking them around it all gets stirred up!

To avoid this i leave my fermenters in a cold room for at least 24hrs, but that being said, you can move it just before bottling with little disturbing of the trub/yeast.

I dont find it to be a problem, and I move all my beer 2 rooms a few hours before bottling. The small amount that gets into the bottle just settles out anyway and the longer you age the beer the more this compacts onto the bottom of the bottle. The same happens with the fermenter, leave it an extra week past the end of fermentation and the yeast compacts and is harder to stir up. Learning to pore the beer into a glass right helps as well.

I used 'muntons gold' Ale dry yeast a few times for brews and I was amazed at how this yeast clung together, moving the beer with this yeast is not an issue as it turns into a jelly like deposit. I found that even when I moved the fermenter and then bulk primed by stirring in sugar directly in the primary, the yeast did not get stirred up one bit. You could use this yeast to your advantage if it matches the beer you want to make. The same happens with your bottles, the yeast is very hard to stir up when you pore the beer into a glass. You could drink direct from the bottle with this yeast and probably not stir it up.

its a plastic bucket-barrel :D

so, if you move it, you will disturb the stuff inside because of the nature of that vessel - it stretches/shifts it form under load of 40pints, so, if you dont want too much sediment, move it ahead of the time and to allow it settle down - overnight should be enough time.

I reckon leaving it overnight is a bit over the top Andris. Of course there will be minor disturbance but if you move it gently that is all there will be. Sure maybe leave it a few minutes if you're worried but that is more than enough.

[rightful] Trust me...I'm a Home Brewer [biggrin]

Archived