Coopers Community

Stuck Fermentation? This sucks!

WeirdBeer

I put down an English bitter 2.5 weeks ago with the Can + a can of Coopers LME.

I used the kit yeast and it started at 1.058 and its been stuck at 1.02 for the past week.

I gotta figure its stuck. Do I repitch more yeast now? I'm getting frustrated.

Since I didn't get any advice here is what I did.

I opened the lid and sprinkled in about 1 teaspoon of yeast nutrient, then I sprinkled in little bit of dextrose to give the yeasties something to snack on. Then I took my mash/stir paddle and dug around the bottom of the fermenter to bring the yeast back up and gently stirred the thing.

Its been a few hours and I've got a slowly bubbling air lock. Maybe 1 - 2 bubbles a minute. But the airlock was dead stopped all of last week so I hope this works. It might just be eating up the dextrose and bubbling that up but I will report back in a week with a new gravity reading.

CALL IT AN EXPERIMENT.

If the ferment is stuck there should still be fermentable for the yeast to snack. To me, taking into account the temps you've had the fermentor sitting at, it sounds like the yeast wasn't in the best condition.

I'd be giving the wort a stir and pitching some more yeast - Not necessarily what the experts would do but it works for me [biggrin]

Anyway I hope your chosen method does the job [cool]

Archived