Coopers Community

Brew Enhancer Question?

JoeL1

Hi, I managed to acquire both a BE1 and BE2 from a recent offer over here in the UK.Now the BE1 contains dextrose and maldodextrin which I understand isn't a fermentable but adds mouthfeel.As it says on the packet it will achieve a 4.7% finishing abv then i'm guessing the amount of maltodextrin is probably quite small, maybe around 10%?

Secondly it says on the side that the BE1 is good for lighter beers such as lagers yet on the side of my Cerveza it recommends the BE2, is this correct?

Cheers

Hi Joe,

Here is a percentage breakdown of both brew enhancers:

Brew Enhancer 1 - 60% Dextrose + 40% Maltodextrin

Brew Enhancer 2 - 50% Dextrose + 25% Maltodextrin + 25% Light Dry Malt

I don't really use brew enhancers but BE2 sounds right for the cerveza. While it is quite a light coloured beer but the malt content of the BE2 would give it a bit of body but still be a easy to drink session beer.

Hi Joe,

I don't really use brew enhancers but BE2 sounds right for the cerveza. While it is quite a light coloured beer but the malt content of the BE2 would give it a bit of body but still be a easy to drink session beer.

true that. I put down a Coopers MEXCER 12.8 using LHBS = BE2 + 0.5kg dex made to 21L. might be looking at my best beer to date with this one. Letting it sit a few more days in the tub to settle, then I'll rack/bulk prime and bottle.

sweet[love]

Hi Joe,

Are you sure it's as high as 40%? If that's the case and maltodextrin is unfermentable then if you used 1kg of dextrose instead you'd be looking at hitting the 7% abv mark which seems unlikely.

Hi Joe,

Are you sure it's as high as 40%? If that's the case and maltodextrin is unfermentable then if you used 1kg of dextrose instead you'd be looking at hitting the 7% abv mark which seems unlikely.

Muddy tells a lot of stories, but he is 100% correct here. What part do you think seems unlikely?

If you used the kit with 1kg of dex to 23L you would only be hitting around 5.1%.

my Cerveza it recommends the BE2, is this correct?

Yes, Mexican Cerveza was developed to be mixed with BE2 in an attempt to make a beer like the sytle of Corona.

We use Maltodextrin - 20% in Brewing Sugar, 40% in BE1, 25% in BE2 - with a DE (dextrose equivalent) of about 17, so around 83g in every 100g is made up of complex sugars. These are not likely to be metabolised by yeast.

It follows, 1kg of BE1 is equal to around 670g of dextrose.

NB: yeast may release enzyme that breaks down some of the complex sugars into simple sugars. This is why we don't quote an exact number for expected FG and the tables on the back of our sugar boxes carry the words "APPROX ALCOHOL CONTENT"

Cheers lads all understood now.[cool]

Out of interest would you recommend the use of a BKE with the original stout? I got sent a free BE1 with it and was considering putting it in along with 500g of medium DME and maybe even reducing the volume.How does this sound?

Put the data in the boxes and you will see that Muddy knows what he`s on about, Well some of the time!! [biggrin]

[biggrin][lol] [biggrin] Bloody hell that's twice today I've nearly choked on my relaxing morning coffee thanks to you funny buggers [pinched]. Nice one Daza! You sure got the last bit right [lol]

Cheers lads all understood now.[cool]

Out of interest would you recommend the use of a BKE with the original stout? I got sent a free BE1 with it and was considering putting it in along with 500g of medium DME and maybe even reducing the volume.How does this sound?

This should throw a good drinker!

My 2nd ever brew was a coopers original series stout made with 1kg of BE2 plus 500gms of Light Dry Malt made to 23L using packet yeast and brewed at around 20-22C. It was one of my finest!

Hi Joel,

Here is calculator that everyone uses as a guide, It gets very close to the FG nearly all the time

Brewcraft Calculator

Put the data in the boxes and you will see that Muddy knows what he`s on about, Well some of the time!! [biggrin]

Just used the calculator. I really hope its correct... I'll be stoked if I get to 5.3%!!!

Archived