Coopers Community

What temperature should I ferment with Coopers Yeast Culture?

WeirdBeer

Just wondering what temperature that yeast likes.

I've done 2 different cultures, one with dextrose, and one with dry malt and they both have an off flavor.

I thought that maybe it was the can of LME, but I just tasted a sample of an English bitter with the same can and the kit yeast and the off flavor isn't there.

I fermented with the culture around 21 degrees

I tend to do mine at 18 but I'm sure 18-21 would be fine. I think the yeast would be happier being recultured in a mixture of malt and dextrose or just malt (At least I would if I were yeast [biggrin] ).

I tend to err on the side of caution and if I am not entirely of the taste or smell of my reculture I tend to dump it and go to plan B. I've probably dumped some perfectly fine yeast in the past but then again I've never had a problem with infection in the FV.

What do they smell and taste like? Don't say "weird" [pinched] [lol] [sideways]

We step up the commercial yeast culture in the mid 20's centigrade so the temp' shoul dnot be the cause of your problem.

Do any of these fit?

Astringent harshness, butterscotch, rancid butter, cooked corn, skunky/catty, medicinal, metallic, stale, mouldy, plastic/polystyrene or band aid, sour, clove, burnt, sulphur (rotten egg), cooked cabbage, vinegar, wet cardboard, wet dog, almond essence, marzipan icing.

okay - Diacetyl. Most yeast will throw this during fermentation then clean it up toward the end.

Some possible causes of DIAC: insufficient healthy yeast pitched in the first instance, infection, low O2 levels in the brew intitially, brew racked off the yeast too early...

Well lets go with insufficient yeast pitched. This brew took forever to get going.

But the second one was fermenting like crazy. It has the same taste but not as strong. Oh well. Maybe re-culturing yeast isn't my thing.

Archived