Coopers Community

Using Finings

ChristianN

The main reason I home brew is to avoid the overly processed, fined, pasteurised mega swill products that pass for beer from the multinational brewers nowadays, so no, I don't use them. I don't see the point. My Euro lager I am drinking right now certainly doesn't need clearing agents!

I'm also not keen on hooves and swim bladders in my beer, but that may be just me [sick]

Obviously how you brew is up to you, if it appeals give it a go and see if the difference is worth the effort.

Using Coopers Brewing Products, you should find that leaving the brew to sit for a day (or two or three) beyond FG has a similar effect to adding finings. [biggrin]

Also, if finings drop too much yeast out of suspension, the beer may not come up to reasonable carbonation in the bottle.[pinched]

+1 to Paul, adding finings to kit beer wont do more then leaving it in the primary for 10 days. You don't even need to rack!

If you do want to rack in the future you can get a fermenter from bunnings for about $25.

If you start to brew AG, then you might want to think about finings like gelatine or something whirfloc.

$16 FV? I think I'm just going to have to get one. Even if I don't rack, just think of the possibilities.

I didn't know too much about finings, but yeah, grosse. I'll give it a miss then.

I have a nice Canadian blonde + honey + extra hops & what is turning out to be a very nice ginger ready. Any recommendations for a good summer brau?

Archived