Coopers Community

Quick question on FG - Heritage Lager

Tigher

hi folks, I am back to home brewing after a gap of a few years, this is my 3rd brew this year and I'm concerned I have not hit the FG I am after.

On the 1st Aug 2010 I did a 23 liter batch of Heritage Lager:

1 can of coopers heritage lager

1 kilo Coopers Brew Enhancer

500g Muntons Beer Kit Enhancer

23 liters of water

OG 1040.

I checked the brew on the 8th Aug it was 1012, and when I checked it on the 11th Aug it was 1012.......

So is the FG 1012? Is it becasue I added 1.5 Kilo's of "sugar" or has my brew stalled?

Any pointers on this much appreciated.

Thanks everyone

Steve

I worked out start and final gravity for your brew, og should have been 1047, fg 1012. what temp was your original reading? seems a little low. and what temp did you ferment at? i'd give the fermenter a swirl and check again in 3-4 days

[rightful] **DO NOT SWIRL IT** [rightful]

You didn't mention whether you used BE1 or BE2. Going by the current SG, without knowing what's in a Munton's Beer Kit Enhancer, I'm guessing you used BE2?? Steady SG readings over a couple of days indicates that it has finished fermenting and it's ready for bottling.

Take another reading, if you like, have a smell and a taste of the sample, then bottle off. [cool]

[rightful] I reckon PB2s warning would be related to oxidising the beer from swirling...but I'm usually wrong [bandit]

Can't see how you could oxidise it when there is a nice layer of C02 on top of it??

I'd like to know why as well as I have done this a number of times with success.

Wasn't thinking about oxidising the beer...

However, why do something that will have little to no benefit - it's most likely at FG, so bottle it rather than resuspending yeast and waiting a few days [whistling

If you do have a need to swirl, there will be CO2 dissolved in solution and swirling may cause a bit of an eruption [pinched]

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll check it after work, if its still 1012 I think I'll bottle it anyway.

Does anyone have thoughts on moving it to a secondry, I'm thinking to let any more sediment fall out before bottling?

My pet hate on all my home brew past and present is chill haze but I guess without proper lagering facilities (e.g. an old fridge) I guess I am wasting my time, my garage is generally 18-22 celcius.

Cheers

However, why do something that will have little to no benefit

-eruption

Eruption? what are you brewing? using bi carb instead of sugar? swirling will disturb less than racking to secondary. if anything a swirl a couple of days before bottling will get that little bit of accumulated sediment off the top of the tap that usually ends up in the first couple of bottles, or in your sample which will give you a false sg reading. have done this for years and had no problems

• 3 weeks later...

Swift update:

FG was 1012 ish, racked off to a secondry for 7 days and let it settle out, bottled to glass bottles with caps, left another ten days, tried it last night.........

My god, its awesome, I can barely belive I brewed it, its better than the stuff from the shops. Amazing........

Swift update:

FG was 1012 ish, racked off to a secondry for 7 days and let it settle out, bottled to glass bottles with caps, left another ten days, tried it last night.........

My god, its awesome, I can barely belive I brewed it, its better than the stuff from the shops. Amazing........

Man, you're breaking my heart! I just bottled my batch and now I have to walk around it and drool for next 10-14 days *cry*

Archived