Coopers Community

Original series stout

JaredW

Hi all again i am thinking about putting down the original series stout and was wanting to know the alcohol percentage when made to the recomended instructions, if it is 4.7% because using be2 how would you recomend i go about raising the percentage to around the 7% mark?? Thanks again

Stout beer kit + Dark Ale beer kit + 500g Sugar, made to 23 litres.

If using a typical 30litre FV, mix it to no more than 18litres, in the first instance then top up to 23 litres once the foam (krausen) has collapsed.

Use both sachets of yeast.

Yesterday I bottled my stout for next winter, I used that recipe but substituted the sugar with LDM, It smelled very nice and tasted even nicer, this is the third or fourth time I have made this brew and have never had a failure, and in fact they seem to be getting better, this one will get at least twelve months to mature before I try it.....well maybe just one before then.

hi again well i have put down the brew as suggested by pb2 except i added 600g of glucose and topped it up to 20l i am just wondering how it will get to the 7% mark, when i took the o.g and it was only 1052?? what is the expected final gravity of this brew i was thinking i would need a o.g of around 1060-1065 perhaps

I made the original beefier recipe suggested by PB2 (same except 1kg of dextrose) to 23 L which I am intending to bottle today.

The calculator says: 1067, 1013, 7.8%.

My actual figures: 1066, 1012.

For simple recipes it seems to work pretty well. I reckon Trusty is right, something went wrong with the OG sample. I recently had one that in hindsight was way too low, but it's not something you can repeat a few days later....

PS - it's one big intense brew. I haven't got any glass available to bottle for long term storage, so I guess I'll just have to make it again when I do :)

Archived