Coopers Community

Brisbane CBD Coles & Woolies (& Big W) not carrying home brew anymore

Archer

Hey all I've just discovered that the CBD majors aren't carrying home brew gear anymore.

On the plus, I just picked up a few cans of Coopers Mexican and Pale ale from MacArthur Woolworths for $5 each. BE2 is $2 is anyone is interested. It seems they're clearing their last stock. The usebys are 2012 dates..

Theres still a dozen or more tins there is peeps are interested and in the Brisbane CBD.

Alarmed, I checked out the (just re-opened) Woolies in Adelaide Rundle Mall. Original series all there, plus brewing sugar, BE1 and BE2.

I know the cheap cans at Coles as they move to no home brew gear are very tempting, but I reckon it's important to keep buying from places that do intend to keep stocking it. Otherwise higher prices and more driving to find the gear are what we can look forward to.

I was circling coles for a while looking for cheap stuff but decided to stick to my initial decision to boycott them rather than sniff out a bargain. Althoug with Coles out of the equation I don't know where I'm going to get my Coopers LDM as they were the only ones that stocked it.

I certainly hope Big W don't stop stocking home brew. If they actually had some advertised sales in the home brew section I'm sure having home brew products in their product range would be more viable. I'm sure they could sacrifice a tiny section of a page in the catalogues we get all the time.

Yeah i agree with supporting the smaller suppliers (LHBS) but i figured if i didn't buy em, someone else wold have. i figure it'll give me a few cans to experiment with and not feel so bad if they turn out hideous :P

I asked the staffies at the various stores and they more or less said that they were pulling them out cos they don't have the sales. I take that to mean that each store will carry homebrew gear only if they can guarantee the sales. kinda a shame really.

Just remember that this in the CBD stores. suburbans i assume will still carry based on projected sales...

I went to the Big W on Goodwood Road yesterday just to have a gander at their HB gear.

Heaps cheaper than Kmart.

Regular prices are original series is $10, International series is $11.97 (English Bitter is $12.98) LDM $4.44, Be#1 $4.36, Be#2 $5.44, BS $3.77, Dex $3.18. I know where I'm going for my next batch.

Martyn.

Archived