Coopers Community

Willow Esky-style temperature control

Sven

Since the recent demise of my second, and defective, immersion heater I have been using a pad heater with some success. In the shed it keeps my brew at around 15 deg. and with a big blanket around it about 24 deg.

However, with Paul suggesting a heat pad directly under the fermenter can cause the cake of yeast sediment to create wierd and funky flavours in my brau, I am once again floundering in the home brew temperature control wilderness.

In the pursuit of better brewing I have stumbled across a wonderful thing - my 27L (short-arse) fermenter fits like a foot in a gumboot inside my 55L Willow wheelie esky.

Therefore, I ask of you brewheads, how do you think this set-up would go? I could put the heat pad down the side of the fermenter but it would be groovy if the fermentation process itself would keep the temperature where it needs to be.

Does anyone have any experience with sticking their fermenter in an insulated box, a la a mighty esky? And if so, how does it go?

If it is working for others then I will give it a go. And if it works for me then that is how I will roll from that day forth.

[biggrin]

I use an old fridge unplugged if its to cold i put a hot water bottle in it and if its hot bottles of iced water. Works really well i generally try and brew at 18 deg so its usually around that mark anyway. Cant see why an esky wouldnt work the same

Does anyone have any experience with sticking their fermenter in an insulated box, a la a mighty esky? And if so, how does it go?

Hi Sven,

Yes, I have successfully completed many brews inside a foam esky-like box, but not with a heat pad. I place the fermenter inside the box, fill the box with water & using an immersion heater (tropical fish tank style), heat the water, indirectly warming the wort. This works a treat.

Mat's idea also sounds great, probably more effective than my method in the summer, I knew I should have kept that tucker box freezer when it stopped working!

Regards, Bear

I'm using a willow esky! It works great. To give it a bit more warmth, I've used an old towel to line the bottom and I've got an old sleeping bag. It's the middle of winter now, so I've got an immersion heater going and some more towels around it.

When the weather was warmer (and I didn't have a heater) I simply put some hot water bottles next to the fermentor overnight. 1 bottle kept stable temp overnight and if needed I used two to boost temps by 1-2 degrees.

Most salubrious, my brewing brothers. I've just put down the Australian Pale Ale with the fermenter in the esky along with the heat pad. The drain hole is open to allow the CO2 to escape once it gets through the pin hole in the glad wrap and it also allows me to stick a thermometer in without opening the esky. Will keep you informed of my success or otherwise.

Since May I have bottled the recipes on this site for Pilsener, Heritage Lager, True Aussie Bitter, Green Neck Lager, Ginger beer for the kids and my old duck, and the Mexican Cerveza. Roll on summer!!!

Oh and a Beck's style beer which is my favourite. It is absolutely superb. See the recipe below:

BECKS* (Ferment 12-15C)

1.7Kg Thomas Coopers Pilsner

1.0Kg Coopers Brew Enhancer 1

250g Dextrose

1 x Morgans Tea Bag Hops \u2013 Tettnanger

15g Premium European Lager Yeast

Simple but awesome!

I left a digital thermometer in the drain hole of the esky overnight and checked it at 8.30am this morning. It was down to 3 degrees overnight here last night.

For the preceding 12 hours:

Maximum temperature in the esky 21.7 deg.

Minimum temperature 19.5 deg.

I think that is a more than satisfactory temperature range for the Aussie Pale Ale. Do you agree Paul?

As a footnote, I checked it when I got home from work and it has been out to 23.9 deg. during the day. Is that too much of a variation? 19.5 deg. at night up to 23.9 deg. during the middle of the day.

I would still be expecting the beer to come up okay with a daily 4C swing.

However, it's not a question I can give a definite YES or NO to. Minimising the temp variation is one of many factors to making a nice beer. [sideways]

Archived