Coopers Community

Am I ready to bottle?

BradW7

Hi All,

After about a 10 year break I recently recovered my brew gear from storage and having a crack at a brew.

I am running a Coopers Pil and its been in for around 11 days now and managing constant 24 degrees. My question is SG appears to be steady at 1.012 but I still get little bubbling from the air lock.

When sampling the brew into a measuring cylinder it appears gassy with a little head but quickly goes in around 30-40 seconds.

Am I okay to rack and bottle?

Further question re racking. I have heard rack with dextrose etc then leave for 4-5 days before bottling but also read many who just rack for 20mins or so then bottle. Have never bottled this way...Thought?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Brad - If your hydrometer readings are stable over 2-3 days it is safe to bottle....Ignore the airlock - It is little more than a farting toy.

I personally see no need in racking - Id' jusy leave it in the fermentor a few more days to settle. As for racking with dextrose, that sounds like bulk priming to me - except for the leaving for 4-5 days - that doesn't seem like a good idea at all - maybe 4-5 mins [rightful].

I reckon just bottle from the original fermentor.

As for temps I think 24 is way too high - The pilsner has a lager yeast which should be kept at 15C (or lower).

Thanks for the info Muddy and yep bulk priming. All this added stuff is new to me since brewing years ago. Back then as you suggest just bottled from the fermenter.

I do like the idea of bulk priming however as on this occasion at least I will be using various bottle sizes.

Also re the gassy sample coming from the fermenter. Is that normal? It is bubbly to the eye with a bit of head. Just dont remember it looking that way.

Many thanks for your help

Gassy samples are quite normal Brad. It does vary sometimes the samples can look like a perfectly poured beer. PB2 has suggested before that you can tip the sample back and forth between a couple to get rid of the gas or you can just leave the sample to de-gas naturally and check it later.

Yeah, bulk priming is great when you are using various and non standard sized bottles. FYI - I'd be using 180g of dex for a 23L btach (But opinions vary on this - comes down to taste really).

Archived