Coopers Community

First brew tasting

WillC1

just tasted my first brew, coopers lager that came with kit. fermented at 22c(going off instructions) bottled for 3 weeks at 22c then cold conditioned for 3 weeks at 5c then patience ran out. put one in fridge and poured a glass, looks great, clear as gin and a good head but tastes/smells a bit winey. any ideas? just bottled a coopers apa and noticed the same smell

I have the same problem. mines almost exactly as the OP's description except i ran out of patience at 8 days and tasted it. mine was VERY winey. I could clearly taste something that could be best be described as "very dry wine". Hopefully mines is because it's so young (far too young to drink, but i was curious as to how it was going)(not cold conditioned). Hopefully the OP's is the same and just needs more aging. The carbonation was decent. Temps were in the primary at 22-24 deg with the bottles carb dropped and at teh same temps throughout.

anyone have any ideas as to what makes beer taste like this?

Give it time guys. I remember when I did the kit lager it was absolutely horrible but after 2-3 months it became drinkable in a VB/New kind of way (which is why I gave most of them away and tipped out the remainders [lol] ). I think the taste might have something to do with just adding brewing sugar to the can.

I'd recommend moving onto another brew and get your stocks up and just let this beer age for a while.

I've done quite a few lagers and the last few I have cold conditioned for about 30 days. The results are excellent compared to my previous attempts. I don't bottle though, I just keg and force carbonate. The extra time yields finer bubbles and better taste. I'm trying one of the Coopers IPA s and in approx. 40 days we'll see what happens.

Cheers all.

fermented at 22c(going off instructions) bottled for 3 weeks at 22c then cold conditioned for 3 weeks at 5c then patience ran out. put one in fridge and poured a glass, looks great, clear as gin and a good head but tastes/smells a bit winey. any ideas?
3 weeks in the fridge has simply slowed down the conditioning process - better off leaving the bottles at a temp at 18C or higher so that the yeast, in suspension, can clean up some of the fermentation bi-products. The "winey" character is most likely acetaldehyde - it's also described as cidery - this will dissipate over time. A reduction in the qty of simple sugars (Brewing Sugar has 800g of dextrose) can reduce acetaldehyde.

Try a bottle periodically and monitor how the flavour profile changes over the months.

Archived