Coopers Community

Homebrew Tragedy! [with Pics]

AndrewC5

dsc00001e.th.jpg

Looks bad right?

Well The other night me and some buddies were at a Party with some good ol' Home Brew in the Esky. One of the worst batches we'd ever made, it was an English Bitter that may have been sligtly infected, anyway.

We were sitting down and talking doing normal things, all of a sudden! BOOM! Massive explosion, glass shards everywhere! The largest and sharpest piece flew up and accross the room, over 3 people on the couch, once we all came to out sences my Friend (and fellow brewer) had been near fataly wounded in the explosion! [This is the image your seeing above] Anyway, he went to the hospital and waited around for 3 hours and ended up with 2 stiches.

All in all, it could have been way worse, he and everyone around are lucky that it was just a flesh wound to the hand.

Anyway, more pics;

imag0265t.th.jpg

imag0266c.th.jpg

Yes i understand why the bottles exploded and noone at fault but myself and fellow brewer included.

[pinched] [pinched]

Perhaps you should get back into using PETs or move on to kegs [cool]

An infected beer is likely to overcarbonate - this is why we suggest to smell and taste the beer prior to bottling.

I bet the bottle carried the words "No Refill".

What was the SG prior to bottling and and what was the priming rate?

Don't worry Paul, i was just sharing the story with all for more of a public saftey annoncement.

This was a batch from about 1.5 months ago, and since then i've been leaving the fermentors for a much longer time with much better results.

The brew was bottled a day or 2 too early, and i even stuck my hand in when we were bulk priming so this brew was destined for disaster! haha

• 1 month later...

Archived