Coopers Community

Whats the ABV of English Bitter made to recipe?

WeirdBeer

Before PB2 has a chance to answer your question I'll jump in and give my 2 cents worth.

I recently made the Englsih Bitter as follows and it came out great:

ESB Style (Made to 21L)

1.7kg Coopers English Bitter

1kg LDM

250g Of Sugar

20g Fuggles (Dry Hopped)

Yeast was S-04 fermented at 21C

[cool]

I only noticed the recommendation to add 500g of dried malt, when I threw the can away. Will the lack of dried malt have a dramatic affect on the quality of English bitter. As you can see - i'm new to this ganme

No thats the recommended way of doing it, so it will come out nice! But it will not be a very strong beer. So give it a shot, and if you don't get your buzz on this time around, try again with more dry malt.

As for me, I'm going to give it a whirl I think with the 2 cans. And maybe use Golding Kent hops for dry hopping. What do you think?

Mark,

Do you mean you just added the English Bitter can, water and yeast?

If so it may be a *bit* light on alcohol (say 3%). [crying]

As 'kit and kilo' brewers we need to remember the (half) kilo!

Cheers

Dan

I can't see why it would hurt anything mark, but I think you might be better off adding simple sugar like dextrose or coopers brewing sugar (dextrose) that'll give the yeast a better chance of working through it and it should dissolve better than LDM. It just might save the batch, I know I'd have a hard time drinking a beer that was only 3% ABV. If it was me I'd probably sprinkle about 1KG of Dextrose without stirring, I don;t know what PB2 would do but I'm sure that eventuallay he'll come across this thread and tell you to do something smarter [pinched]

Dry product addition will provide nucleation sites for the CO2 to break out and foam all over the place.[pinched] [pinched]

Have made this brew using just the can and nothing else - I think it comes up okay.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi new to the forum and relatively new to home brewing also have just bought a English Bitter to brew being english myself would like to see how this stacks up against the real thing which by the way i havent tasted for about 5 yrs [lol] if i add 1kg of dextrose as well as the 500grams of LDM what specific gravity can i expect ??

1kg of Dextrose is too much for this style - drop it back to 500g.

OG will be around 1038 and FG may come out at about 1008ish.

Never a bad idea to make it per the recommended recipe the first time...

• 4 weeks later...

Okies did as you suggested brew has been in the bottle just over 2 weeks now decided to try one a couple of days ago and can best describe as odd seems really sweet as it goes in the mouth then getting a huge bitterness in the aftertaste seems to be reasonably well carbonated and comes out of the bottle clear enough just not liking the flavour at the moment [pouty] so what i want to know is will this improve the longer i leave it in the cupboard to a point where i might go Yeah thats a sh*t hot brewor is it a lost cause ???

Well I just put down my English Bitter Kit, with the can of Coopers LME and the kit yeast 1 week ago. Took a gravity reading yesterday and its down to 1.o2o so its well on its way.

OG was 1.052 - I personally want my beers at least around that gravity. Sampled the gravity reading and it was pretty good. I'll let you guys know how it comes out.

Archived