Coopers Community

air in fermenter/ ferm temp

nathanb5

hey guys

just wondering bout air gettin into fermenter during ferment.2nite i was mucking round with it and now the lid wont seal properly and the airlock has basically stopped im 3days into brewing the heritage lager still pressure in there but not bubbling any more will it have an effect on brew. also in the instructions under wort lid ideal temp is 21 to 27 but i keep reading other people posts and there temps are much much lower ive currently got it at 23 what should i have it at ?

Hey

Don't worry too much about the airlock.

The heritage lager can be brewed at lager temperatures though, it comes with a lager and ale yeast mix according to the list Paul posted recently. There is some info here:

Heritage Lager

About 15 degrees is good.

21 to 27 is OK for Ales.

As it has a mixed yeast you have a wide range but I expect lower temps will make a cleaner lager.

Cheers

Dan

G'day Nathan - I agree with Kearnage 15C would be a good temp for it. What is keeping your beer at 23C? Have you got a heat source on it or is that room temp. It is probably a lat but I'd try and get the temp down a bit - There are vrious methods (wet towels etc - I think you will find more info in the FAQ section).

Don't worry about not having a true seal on your lid the air wont affect your beer and don't worry about the airlock not bubbling (but I wont go on about that now [biggrin] ).

For future brew you might want to think about some form of temp control. My brewing experience really took off after I finally set up a brewing fridge where I can set and forget my brews and chill (or heat) them to a stable and appropriate temp.

• 1 month later...

thanks guys sorry took so longto reply lap top stuffed up beer ended up turning out good. my heating source is a fish tank heater i built a fermenter out of a 50 ltr keg and designed the lid so i could use one have to post some pics, good for keeping temp 20 to 30 as far as getting lower have to come up with somthing else might just stick it outside gets cold enough. also thinkin bout havin a gassed keg setup jus wondering if i can drink it straight away after fermenting or if i have to let it sit for a while then gas and drink thanks for info, nath

Anything immersed in the brew increases the risk of spoilage.[rightful]

Some factors to consider when looking to drink young beer:

freshness of ingredients,

ferment temp' - the lower end of the recommended range,

keep simple sugars at or below 20% of total fermentables,

style of beer - more funky styles like RIS and Belgian Ale are intended to be aged,

your own personal preference,

how thirsty you are...[biggrin]

haha very thirsty mate

nah the way ive designed the lid is that that there are two stainless tube welded under the lid one for heater one for digi thermometer so they sit inside the tube so the heater doesnt actually come in contact with the beer

g'day Nathan, I would be interested to see some snaps of your stainless fermenter, I have a keg and intend to do the same thing...one day when I get some time[roll] The tubes in the lid sounds like a good idea, I am a bit keen to see what sort of lid arrangement you have used as well.

Archived