Coopers Community

Can anyone reccommend a beer not to Bitter

Werwer2018

I have a Coopers Lager that I'm going to bottle tomorrow. Never tasted it before. But I'm looking for a beer that is not to bitter and a higher alcohol content if that is possible. I'm new to brewing and not comfortable with adding a lot of grains at the moment. So maybe just a LME and a brew Enhancer if I need one. I saw that there was Original series, International series and other but not sure which would be right for me.

Hey Werwer

I think you will have to quantify not "too bitter".

Sure when compared to the Brew A IPA (830 IBU) the Bootmaker (590 IBU) is not "too bitter".

However when compared to the OS Lager (390 IBU) some would say the Bottmaker at 590 IBU is "too bitter".

The Coopers Australian Pale Ale is a top kit and at 340 IBU it mixes up well with a kilo of LDM, this will only give you a "normal" full strength beer.

I also liked the Canadian Blonde (420 IBU) and this one is probably more suited to the high octane brew (I guess you should also quantify what you mean by "higher alcohol" content) than the Aussie Pale as you do need some bitterness because as the Original Gravity increases to some extent the Final Gravity will as well, which can lead to increased sweetness. Personally, and I know Lusty will disagree, I would use this kit with 1kg of LDM and up to 500g of Dextrose or Cane Sugar depending on the %ABV you are after.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Hi Scottie,

I just finished making a Long Play IPA and I was just reading that the IBU was 70. WOW was that bitter. My wife said she could use it to clean her silverware LOL. I ended up throwing it out. I drink cheap commercial beer when I can afford to buy it and it's not as bitter as that is.

Hey Werwer

The Long Play IPA is a Mr Beer recipe. Are you looking to do another Mr Beer or do you have a traditional FV capable of doing 23 litres?

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

PS it takes a while for your taste buds (several years of amping it up) to adjust from main stream lagers to big IPAs. I was like you early, however now bitter is good.

Hi Scottie,

No The Mr. refills are hard to find in Ontario Canada so I'll probably be using Coopers as they are readily available around here. I have a 6 gallon pail that I'm using for my FV. Like I said I don't mind bitter but that is unreal. I was once offered a polish beer and it tasted a lot like that.

Well

You should do the Canadian Blonde for two reasons wink

I'd do the blonde first and if you reckon its not too bitter have a crack at the Bootmaker.

At some point though you must do the Coopers Australian Pale Ale, with just one kilo of LDM though rightful

Cheers

Archived