Coopers Community

failed lager...?

Ramos

5th brew in to my home brewing career and have just made up a batch of lager and had decided to experiment with the sugars...i used a kg of dextrose and 100g honey and 100g golden syrup...was a bit concerned when bottling as there seemed to be no body at all...was impatient and cracked one 3 days into secondary fermentation and it appears i have made beer tasting wine. from what i put in is this kind of result to be expected as there are no additional malts to add body? or will carbonation occur over the next 2 weeks? just concerned as the stout i bottled at the same time has a quality creamy head

g'day andrew,

it needs time to carbonate for sure.

honey n syrup in a lager type might not work,you may need darker malt and yeast flavours to balance the sweetness.... let them age, they may come good in 4-6 months?

a stout is gonna get a better head than any pale beer.

you want body.......just make it all malt!

1.7kg concentrate and 1kg light dry malt or liquid malt!!

dont even look at that lager again for 4 weeks..then try 1 a week until it tastes good??? see what happens?

cheers

matt

cheers matt,

thats makes me feel better, didn't know what to do there...drink it flat, throw it out, add more priming sugar.

Was trying to go for a hint of sweetness thats why i only used 100g of each. oh well looks like i'm drinking cerveza and stout for the next 4 weeks...its a hard life

The stout is amazing, made on brown sugar and dark dried malt with safale 04...nom nom nom

cheers

andrew

Simple sugars - dextrose, white sugar, golden syrup, etc. ferment out completely leaving no sweetness.

Honey may leave a smidge of sweetness but the perceived sweetness is more likely the nose playing tricks on brain when smelling the honey aromas.

I'd expect the FG to be fairly low - it's in the bottle now so, as Thirsty said, give it some time before looking at it again.

cheers PB2

yeah felt like a bit of an odd ball when i put it on, started at 1036 (was expecting a bit higher) and got down to 1002, sat there for 3 days before bottling.

was there anyhting i could have done before bottling to reduce the wait?

andrew

Assuming correct priming rate, sufficient temp', enough yeast carried over from primary, the yeast behaves itself and properly sealed bottles - should be fizzed up in 7 days.

Anything after this is conditioning time.

Archived