Coopers Community

Cooper Ginger Beer Low Starting Gravity

JoeL1

Hi guys, i've just made up a batch of 20 litres of ginger beer using the Coopers kit.I followed the instructions and added 1kg of brewing sugar to this and took a reading, I was disappointed that this came out at 1.020 leaving me with a potential ABV of 1.4%.I've since added a further 1kg of sugar and this has taken it to 1.035 though that still seems low, anyone else had trouble with this kit?

Hi Joe - I think your readings must be well and truly out. I think just the 1 kg of sugar in water would give you a reading of 1020 (You did add the kit didn't you [tongue] )

Done as per instructions, with 1kg of sugar, it should come out about 3.5%. Now that you've added the extra sugar you should be breaking the 5% barrier and heading for 6%.

Are you sure your hydrometer is accurate?

I've been trying to isolate the problem, I figured even if the measurements on the brew bin were inaccurate that wouldn't account for such a reading.The only other options is either a dodgy kit or hydrometer as you say.I did buy the hydrometer brand new but this is the first kit i've used it with.

Bugger! I just replied to this and my reply has disappeared [pinched]

I'll try again:

I think your Ginger Beer will be fine Joe. Have you tasted it? Even if the kit was dodgy you should have a higher reading from just the added sugar alone.

I put my money on the hydrometer being the culprit. Are you sure you're reading it right? Assuming it is calibrated to 20C it should read 1000 in water at 20C.

I followed the instructions and added 1kg of brewing sugar

Joe, by following the instructions you would use 1kg of Raw Sugar and make the brew up to 20litres. OG should be around 1024.

What were the exact ingredients?

What is the total volume of the brew?

At what stage did you take the first SG reading and what was the temp' of the brew at the time?

Hi, the exact ingredients were the kit plus 1kg of brewing sugar and a further 1kg of the household stuff to a 20 litre batch.I've done the hydrometer test and it does come out at 1.000 so maybe it isn't mixed correctly.

Is there a good way of remedying this at this stage?

Cheers[annoyed]

Leave the lid on mate. With that much sugar it will be fine. As long as the yeast is doing it's thing all is good. Ginger beer is a funny one. With my GB i use 2kg of raw sugar to 1 Coopers can and 20 ltrs of water. It ends up great with plenty of alcohol [happy] I also bottle mine with a liitle rum sometimes to make my own dark and stormy [love]

Is there a good way of remedying this at this stage?

[rightful] Joe, there is nothing to remedy - it sounds fine. You're going to have yourself a strong ginger beer. From memory I think it should finish down around the 1002 mark (?) so take that into account.

Just sit back and let the yeast do it's thing [cool]

Cheers guys it does look good it was just the readings that were throwing me.I just wanted to isolate the problem now before I go onto other brews.

What do you reckon % should end up as?

I just wanted to isolate the problem now before I go onto other brews.

Joe, we may be able to go some way to helping you isolate the problem if you answer the questions that were asked...

What is the total volume of the brew?

At what stage did you take the first SG reading and what was the temp' of the brew at the time?

Help us to help you [roll]

Hi, it was a 20 litre batch, I made the mistake of taking the 1st reading after adding the yeast.I'm not sure of the temp as I don't have a thermometer yet i'm a bit of a rookie but trying hard to learn. [joyful]

So the initial gravity readings were about right.

Sounds like things are going okay with the brew.

Most hydrometers are calibrated at 20C so 5C either way should give a .001 error and greater as the temp' deviates further.

Get yourself an adhesive thermometer strip from the local home brew shop.

Archived