Coopers Community

What’s your definition of Craft?

MarkC

Recently I was reading an American book about beers of the world, and it contained a pretty vigorous discussion about what could be described in the industry as “craft”.

Personally, the term craft only has meaning if the beers are special or unique in some way.

The Yanks say that a craft brewery must be small (by their standards), independent and use traditional methods; the latter seems to be a slap at the substitution of sugar etc for malt by some of the more industrial brewers.

We don’t have a definition here, seemingly because it might exclude some of the larger members of the Independent Brewers Association.

The recent purchase of Pirate Life by InBev might prove to be a prime example of a craft brewer growing away from its craft roots.

What do you reckon?

I wouldn't say it needs to be independent to be considered craft beer , i would define craft beer as any beer produced with passion and few compromises .

As for the lack of adjuncts in craft beer i'd also disagree since i have no problem adding some sugars to a RIS or belgian strong ale without going to the extreme of the US megabrewers lagers made with high proportion of corn .

For me i'll judge the beer on what it claims to be and how it presents in the glass and not who made it

The definition doesn't mean as much to me as ownership and independence. FWIW (and to answer MarkC's question) craft to me means a beer that is made with quality malt and hops, with the emphasis to be on flavour and to distinguish themselves from the pale lagers that dominate our Aussie marketplace. Going by this definition, Little Creatures, James Squire, etc all fall under the craft banner even though they are owned by large corporations trying to get in on the market of "craft beer" that is selling so well.

That all said, I will seek out truly independent craft brewers and their beers as I support their industry and do not want to fund the multinationals who want to increase their market share of the craft beer market, effectively pushing out the smaller, independent brewers out of business. And what a sad state we would be in (again) if this happened/repeated.

Sorry 4 Pines/Pirate Life/Feral. I won't intentionally seek out your beers anymore, despite the claims from the parent companies about supporting the craft beer scene, the brewers and the product. There's beers just as good if not better and fresher just two suburbs away from me (in three directions)

Archived