Coopers Community

Enhancer 1 vs 2

RobR1

I ordered a couple of Coopers kits from a UK homebrew shop, running a cracking special offer - free Beer Enhancer with every Coopers kit, for a limited time only :D

The two kits I ordered were Mexican, and Wheat. I received two boxes of Beer Enhancer #1.

The instructions of the Mexican one suggested using BE2, not 1, however, I brewed with 1 anyway... On the box it says...

BE 1

For a creamier head with enhanced body and mouth feel. Recommended for use with lighter beer styles such as Lager, Draught and Pilsener.

BE 2

Enhances flavour, mouth feel and head retention. Great for use with any beer style where a fuller, maltier flavious is prefered.

With Mexican supposed to be a bit like Corona/Sol etc I thought it would be classed as a 'lighter beer style' - hence BE1 as I have used. (BE 2 sounds like the kind of thing I'd use with bitters, or darker ales, not stuff like Mexican or wheat!)

Why do the instructions state 2 rather than 1? - Are there any side effects I should be aware of using 1 rather than 2?

On the wheat one the tin suggests 500h light dry malt and 300g of dextrose. Is it ok to replace this with 1kg of BE1?

Hi Rob - I personally wouldn't use the BE1 with the wheat as I think some light dry malt will do it more justice (or even better some wheat malt).

For reference here are the ingredients for both brew enhancers:

Brew Enhancer 1 - 60% Dextrose + 40% Maltodextrin

Brew Enhancer 2 - 50% Dextrose + 25% Maltodextrin + 25% Light Dry Malt

You could give it a go and it may turn out great but I'd be getting some malt to add myself.

Why do the instructions state 2 rather than 1?

The Mexican Cerveza beer kit + BE2 made to 23litres and fermented at 21C, gives a result that is closest to Corona's colour, SG, flavour, alcohol and bitterness [cool]

Having said that, there's nothing to stop you from using BE1 - it will make beer, just higher SG, lower alcohol and lower perceived bitterness.

After much reading here I think I'm better off not being able to buy Be1 and Be2 off the shelf. I've had great success with dextrose and LDM I'm thinking about trying to find some corn syrup to add a little maltodextrin to the equation. From what I've read I'd be inclined to believe that it helps with head retention, but I'm not really sure what exactly it is that it brings to the party [alien]

As you say Slurtis, head retention is one of the benefits, other than that it doesn't really do much that I've noticed. Even the greater head retention isn't life changing. On the few beers that I've used it in I haven't really noticed the heads to be that different than my other beers.

I wouldn't really bothr with it if I were you.

Thanks for that Muddy, I'll focus on getting some hops to my door instead then (that was higher on my priority list anyways) I need hopping advice but I suppose I can find that by sifting through the pages here too... I wish there was a good search feature, but there isn't. Google sort of works but not really, that or I'm not doing it right. I've read about 2/3 of the threads on this site, but I still have not come across a good hopping tutorial [crying]

Why do the instructions state 2 rather than 1?

The Mexican Cerveza beer kit + BE2 made to 23litres and fermented at 21C, gives a result that is closest to Corona's colour, SG, flavour, alcohol and bitterness [cool]

Thanks. I already made it up with BE1 since that's what was sent to me, and reading the description it sounded ideal! - Tasting now just before bottling (tomorrow) and its very sweet. I guess that comes from the fact that the maltodextrin isn't fermentable. I guess also that's something I'm stuck with (for 40 pints!) now.

This does beg the question, for what kits IS BE1 suposed to be used for? - I might get one of those and use the other BE1 I have here - I don't think I'll use it for the wheat beer.

Having said that, there's nothing to stop you from using BE1 - it will make beer, just higher SG, lower alcohol and lower perceived bitterness.

Hi Rob - I personally wouldn't use the BE1 with the wheat as I think some light dry malt will do it more justice (or even better some wheat malt).

Do you think something like this then mate?

http://www.thethriftyshopper.co.uk/brewer/Spraymalt-Wheat-1kg.aspx

The tin states 500g of that then 300g of dextrose or sugar, should I just use what ever from the super market (Tate and Lyle!) or should I use 'brewing sugar' such as this:

http://www.thethriftyshopper.co.uk/brewer/brewing-and-winemaking-sugar.aspx

not sure what the difference would be

Archived